Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Premium Member
2,283 Posts

Here is a new version.

· Registered
10,481 Posts
Yes, I do. That's the critter Jegu was calling S. gibbus. Isn't that the one sold as a "Catarina" or something like that? From what've I researched on that name, the epithet is applicable to S. marginatus. Certainly is not that fish.
But that tail doesn't look too complete. Is that dark pigment all over the caudal fin or is that a border?

· Premium Member
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A few years ago, Dr. Fink suggested S. gibbus when he looked at this picture....

g

· Premium Member
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
S. gibbus was described from the Rio Araguia. Is that where the fish is from? I seem to recall you saying the fish was from Belem or exported from there?
When I was in Central Brasil on the upper Rio Araguaia (Town of Aruana, near Goiania), I saw nothing of anything that looked like this. However, the Araguaia runs north about 1,400 miles, and empties into the Tocatins, which empties into the Atlantic almost at the same point that the Amazon empties into the Atlantic, at the city of Belem. The fish in question in my earlier picture was exported from Belem, which would support it coming from the Araguaia, or its drainage into the Tocatina.

THis particular shipper is much further to the east, which would support a slightly larger distribution, which to my mind, is quite plausible.

I will get specific collection location.

· =CroCodiLe Dd=
272 Posts
Adrian, since you have the fish in front of you, what is that sticking out in the belly region near the anal opening? Are those spines?
Honestly I don't remember, I'll have a look tonight...

Here are 2 old closer pics for the moment :

BTW about s. gibbus, do you remember this pic I send you few month ago ? 6", smaller spots and kind of very elongated rhombeus... You first thought was s. gibbus. But those 2 fish are totally different
Does it bring something new (except more confusion) ?

· Registered
10,481 Posts
BTW about s. gibbus, do you remember this pic I send you few month ago ? 6", smaller spots and kind of very elongated rhombeus... You first thought was s. gibbus. But those 2 fish are totally different Does it bring something new (except more confusion) ?
When it concerns S. rhombeus........yah, I hate their growth morphology as much as some Pristobrycon.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.