Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
All reds are the same species: Pygocentrus nattereri...
All those fancy names that are circulating (ternetzi, super reds, reticulated reds etc.) have no scientific value, although they are used by hobbyists to differentiate between the various color forms and geographical varieties...

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
For someone in an area with good availability it might be a little expensive, yes.
But price is always dictated by availablity and demand: the more rare a fish is in a certain are, but higher the prices will be...

In my area, reds a very common and quite popular, so I can get babies for 3 bucks, and 5-6-inchers for 12,50-20 bucks, but in other cities near my hometown they are much more expensive, because they hardly recieve any reds and very little people want to buy them...

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It was the closest shop that sold them in my area. If i went out of the way i could have got them for $7.95 but i have no transport. It was a little shop just around the corner from my ladys house. I have another question to ask: I have 6 reds but one of the will not join the others, He just hides under a peace of bogwood. The other 5 somtimes have a go at him, Will he or will he not join the other 5?

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
What tank size are they in?

In most cases, pygo's establish a pecking order when they get into a new tank (and he might be the shoal's drop-out). It's not uncommon that some fish get wounded or killed in this phase, so keep a close eye on them.

Besides that, he might just like to hang out at that place: when my reds were smaller, the biggest one also claimed a spot under a piece of bog wood: it gave him perfect overview on what happened in the tank (the piece of wood was located in the tank's middle)... But he was clearly the top-dogg of the pack.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You might just be right friend? He is the biggest but also he has a big nick in the tail fin. But what worries me is he tries to get behind by pump, i always think he's stuck and have to dislodge him. The other five always follow one another.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.