Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
i have 3 reds in a 55 gallon 1 five inch and 2 6-7 inch i have had them since the were 2 inches and starting yesterday the 2 big ones have been fighting non stop. its like they go in circles chasing each others fins but when one has the other ones fin in its mouth it just holds it in its mouth but doesnt do any damage. and when they are fighting they turn really dark. i tested the water and everything is good.
what should i do?

THANKS......THEONE

·
Captain Britannia
4,817 Posts
do as croz advised remove the decor and add again in a different position and leaving no real points to mark out territory .
2 of my reds had a 4 day battle for dominance the other week and 1 came out on top but i moved decor around and they are nowhere near as bad now
dixon

·
Registered
7,634 Posts
I have 3 5" reds in my 55 gallon and they did a very similar thing. My one red got very dark and started beating the crap out of the other two. I rearranged the tank and added a new piece of driftwood and it was all good after that. It took about a week for it to all calm down, but it's been a week since the fighting and they are still getting along fine.

Joe

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
tank temp?
it could be possible you are having a battle for the lead in the pecking order, when my fish were small and growing this would happen alot, the finally one took over and has been king of the tank since and still is even with the newest additions, some people may not agree with this, but I believe there is a hierarchy in the tank and my fish seem to stear clear of Pedro, and 2nd is Pinata and they avoid her mostly as well, but not as bad as Pedro he is just a jerk lol

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
turn temp down to about 78 it will help some

usually reds will pair off, or the two will stay close most of the time
then they start making a nest and keeping others away
b4 you know it they are laying eggs

I know that was short, but they all do it different, but generally thats the case

·
Me except the eye color
6,210 Posts
yes turn down the temp. the male will be pushing the female to a certain area for a long time. the female will become real fat! male and female will chase away everything else in the tank. once the female is about to lay their eggs the female will no longer toerlate the make pushing and chasing her around. a nest is a little hole they will dig to lay their eggs.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.