Piranhas Forum banner
121 - 140 of 153 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Just some more useless info. I bought a couple Penn_Plax cascade 150 filters yesterday for my fry tanks. These filters are the sh*t. Adjustable flow rates and the Bio-Falls bio booster acts as a diffuser to so the current is perfect at all times. These things are perfect, take your sponge filters and shove em hehe.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Yeah I have 2 males and 3 females in mine I think so my guys get plenty of action hahaha They get frisky sometimes but not bad. Once the eggs are laid the males will chase away the other fish but not aggressively, really.
I, too was thinking about terns next. You see a few red bellies @ lfs around here and every now and then a "black piranha" but nothing else. My reds have always been egg layers and raising my first batch of fry is going so well, that I thought I might as well go for something else too.
Regarding earning a living at it, I really wanted to get into fish farming at one time. it is a new and quickly growing industry, and helps reduce stress on wild populations. There is a lot of opportunity there in my opinion, but I am more interested in computers and technology than biology.
I think it's possible to make a little extra cash breeding fish at home but only if you have the time and space. It would be a ton of work and investment to make it a real business but it could be done. I run my own landscaping business, and Jay from your handle I am guessing you have your own biz (correct me if I'm wrong) and if you do you know how much work is involved with being self employed. I have a lot of down time in winter and extra time during the day to devote to it, so I have been thinking about trying to breed fw shrimp and other species that don't take up as much space, and securing various outlets for them. I have gotten good response so far from lfs owners when asking about getting rid of my piranha babies, and I only see a select few types of fw shrimp here so I thought I may be able to fill a niche and provide something different that sells. Aside from selling to your lfs, with the internet and places like aquabid, and craigslist etc. money can be made imo but a full time income would create another full time job. I'm just saying if it's something you're passionate about you can find a way.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #124 ·
Yeah I have 2 males and 3 females in mine I think so my guys get plenty of action hahaha They get frisky sometimes but not bad. Once the eggs are laid the males will chase away the other fish but not aggressively, really.
I, too was thinking about terns next. You see a few red bellies @ lfs around here and every now and then a "black piranha" but nothing else. My reds have always been egg layers and raising my first batch of fry is going so well, that I thought I might as well go for something else too.
Regarding earning a living at it, I really wanted to get into fish farming at one time. it is a new and quickly growing industry, and helps reduce stress on wild populations. There is a lot of opportunity there in my opinion, but I am more interested in computers and technology than biology.
I think it's possible to make a little extra cash breeding fish at home but only if you have the time and space. It would be a ton of work and investment to make it a real business but it could be done. I run my own landscaping business, and Jay from your handle I am guessing you have your own biz (correct me if I'm wrong) and if you do you know how much work is involved with being self employed. I have a lot of down time in winter and extra time during the day to devote to it, so I have been thinking about trying to breed fw shrimp and other species that don't take up as much space, and securing various outlets for them. I have gotten good response so far from lfs owners when asking about getting rid of my piranha babies, and I only see a select few types of fw shrimp here so I thought I may be able to fill a niche and provide something different that sells. Aside from selling to your lfs, with the internet and places like aquabid, and craigslist etc. money can be made imo but a full time income would create another full time job. I'm just saying if it's something you're passionate about you can find a way.
I am pretty passionate about it Sanjo. I don't want to make a living at it but some extra cash for all the time and effort I put in would be nice. I do all right with the fry I have been selling but I'm about breaking even with them. I don't mind breaking even because it's the enjoyment I get from doing it. I am defenatly going to get some terns and give it a try, pretty rare around me so I think I could make a killing. as far as selling my red babies I can get some pretty good cash for them I just have to get larger quantities for wholesalers because they want to buy 2 to 3000 at a time. I am starting to research farming my own foods to get the cost of raising them down. I have feed my adult reds night crawlers before and they love em so I'm thinking about worm farming. Also gave my fry California Black worms the other day and they went nuts over them, so I've been looking into farming them also. I think I'm getting OCD watch for me on the next animal hoarders lmao.

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
Lmmfao welcome to the club jay! Nightcrawlers are probably the best food out there for piranha. They're high in protein, cheap, lil if any disease from feeding them.hurry up n get some terns going on so you can hook me up.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #126 ·
Lmmfao welcome to the club jay! Nightcrawlers are probably the best food out there for piranha. They're high in protein, cheap, lil if any disease from feeding them.hurry up n get some terns going on so you can hook me up.
I'm working on it man, going to make a trade with some baby reds, its going to cost me, but it will be worth it in the end.

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
The best thing about baby reds is it's good trading material with lfs. Yesterday i just got 75$ for some, though i spent it all yesterday lol. I did get a 20g H tank so i can raise more now. Im trying to document it then ill put pics up at the end if it comes out good. Im fien with credit as I spend a ton of cash there anyways.

Where did you get the original rimless 20g in your pics?

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
The best thing about baby reds is it's good trading material with lfs. Yesterday i just got 75$ for some, though i spent it all yesterday lol. I did get a 20g H tank so i can raise more now. Im trying to document it then ill put pics up at the end if it comes out good. Im fien with credit as I spend a ton of cash there anyways.

That's funny cluster I sold 40 n traded 22 more for a 3"gold Mac to add to the collection n a beautiful 5" rbp. We must of had spawning bout same time although mine were 2"-2.5". If your Lfs only gives your credit least its helping to pay for your hobby every lil bit counts? Also cluster do you have a breeders award or do I have to start a thread for you to? Lmmfao!n jays baby tank does look pretty awesome.

·
Registered
615 Posts
How much are you guys getting per fish? I was thinking I would be lucky to get $3 each since they sell for around $8-12 here, but I wouldn't be surprised if they offered $1 or $2 apiece.

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
Also cluster I'm curious why you went with a 20h? Not that there's anything wrong with 20h but 20l has bigger ft print. Might just be my handfeeding style or just me but I find feeding babies in a tank that a ft tall is perfect whether its 15L, 20L or 33L.Idk seems they just like a shollower tank to me.but believe me I have rbp babies in taller tanks too.I was just curious.

·
Registered
8,752 Posts

That's funny cluster I sold 40 n traded 22 more for a 3"gold Mac to add to the collection n a beautiful 5" rbp. We must of had spawning bout same time although mine were 2"-2.5". If your Lfs only gives your credit least its helping to pay for your hobby every lil bit counts? Also cluster do you have a breeders award or do I have to start a thread for you to? Lmmfao!n jays baby tank does look pretty awesome.
[/quote]
i havnt even tried for the breeders award yet. i will document this batch and post it up when its done. I got a nice 24x12 wooden stand for free so thats why i went with a 20H. The other options was a 15, 25 or 30H, but the larger 25 and 30 were almost too tall. As babies p's seem to use more height then adults so they should still use the full tank.

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
There's nothing wrong with 20h I just curious.I have a 20h for babies also just seems the my rbp in the 15Ls n 33L are less shy at feeding n rarely does anything get missed. Seems my rbp in shorter tanks are at top before I even get my hand in while rbp babies in taller tank take a minute to come up to eat.I figured it was a awesome deal or something.I even noticed that my babies in the kiddy pool are even faster to respond to the sight of me(its only bout 6"-8" deep) soon as I walk up to it they at top wanting fed. For jay, cluster n everyone else raising piranha if your feeding a lot of frozen bloodworms n whatnot should checkout brinedirect they have 1lb packages fairly cheap if you buy a few of em.I know it depends on how many you have, but there was a couple times I was going through a 1lb thing of frozen brine n 1lb thing of frozen bloodworms in a week.n that's not counting the crushed pellets n diced krill I offer also! N I get roughly 3$ each. I sold 35 for 100$ couple days ago but I always give lil extra so he got 40 for 100$ n traded 22 for a gold Mac n half grown rbp because I merely wanted the Mac so I have a even dozen n the rbp was in same tank. Funny thing is I took these 2 piranha n freed up a 55gal or so tank. That he could have dumped these 62 2"-2.5" n couple 3" into but instead they dumped them into a 15gal or so tank!!with 9 rbp left over from last batch I sold him last month!!! Crazy!! He gonna have heavy losses in another day or two!!! I tryd to tell him.but whatever! I sold them saturday n stopped in to check on them yesterday n they already have fin nips so won't be long now n that tanks gonna be a killing field!

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
There's nothing wrong with 20h I just curious.I have a 20h for babies also just seems the my rbp in the 15Ls n 33L are less shy at feeding n rarely does anything get missed. Seems my rbp in shorter tanks are at top before I even get my hand in while rbp babies in taller tank take a minute to come up to eat.I figured it was a awesome deal or something.It was regular price, but got it free with store credit from bringing reds in

I even noticed that my babies in the kiddy pool are even faster to respond to the sight of me(its only bout 6"-8" deep) soon as I walk up to it they at top wanting fed. For jay, cluster n everyone else raising piranha if your feeding a lot of frozen bloodworms n whatnot should checkout brinedirect they have 1lb packages fairly cheap if you buy a few of em.I know it depends on how many you have, but there was a couple times I was going through a 1lb thing of frozen brine n 1lb thing of frozen bloodworms in a week.Sicne im right on the canada usa boarder i may just get a can of brine shrimp and mayby some bloodworms and have it shipped to an american po box as shipping to canada costs as much as the stuff

n that's not counting the crushed pellets n diced krill I offer also! N I get roughly 3$ each. I sold 35 for 100$ couple days ago but I always give lil extra so he got 40 for 100$ n traded 22 for a gold Mac n half grown rbp because I merely wanted the Mac so I have a even dozen n the rbp was in same tank. Funny thing is I took these 2 piranha n freed up a 55gal or so tank. That he could have dumped these 62 2"-2.5" n couple 3" into but instead they dumped them into a 15gal or so tank!!with 9 rbp left over from last batch I sold him last month!!! Crazy!! He gonna have heavy losses in another day or two!!! I tryd to tell him.but whatever! I sold them saturday n stopped in to check on them yesterday n they already have fin nips so won't be long now n that tanks gonna be a killing field!
60 p's would be great for 55g tank. That guy is stupid. Especially when paying a couple bucks a piece a lot are bound to be cannibilized or missing fins, eyes or tails. I guess the strongest will survive. Do you feed yours shrimp, talapia or any larger piranha food? At 1.5-2" thats what i was using for mine as its cheaper then bloodworms or brine, but i still fed some blood and brine

·
Registered
176 Posts
I have been geting a couple dollars a piece now in store credit so my hobby doesn't cost anything . I have someone willing to buy dime size for 50 cents but he wants big quanity 2 to 3000 at a time. As far as cannibalism goes I have had little to none I still have a couple hundred in my 90 gallon and they are a good 2". The guy I've been selling them to bought 100 last week, how the hell does he sell that many at $8-$12 each I can't see it being possible.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #135 ·

I had it made at a local acrylic design company originally for a sump but used it for this instead. I do alot of paintwork for the guy so he did't even charge me.
I'm going to have him make me 3 10's and a couple 55's hopefully he won't charge me that much.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #136 ·
It's raining like a bitch here today, so I think I'm going to go catch some night crawlers tonight(free food lol). What do you guys think about feeding reds frogs have hundreds behind my house. The less the cost of this little operation I have going the more profit I make lmao.

·
Registered
615 Posts
LoL before long your neighborhood will be clear of all manner of small animals bugs and worms. I thought about occasionally feeding grasshoppers because it would be easy to drag a net thru the yard and get a bunch at once.
That's awesome that you guys are getting a fair price for the fish, I would be happy with $2-3 each
Makes me want to fill an old jacuzzi with rbp hahaa

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
I sold to a petstore cluster, he's been selling the sh*t out of em.college town n only 2 Lfs carry piranha here.they're actually in I say 15gal-20gal tank n not the bigger tank with nothing in it!

·
Registered
265 Posts
dont yell at me guys but the breeder i deal with at lfs did breed black piranhas he said he gave it up because they were so canibulistic soon as they could the fry would start eating each other so he gave it up and stuck with rb he has no reason for lying.but i guess if i didnt see it with my own eyes one can say it didnt happen either.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #140 ·
dont yell at me guys but the breeder i deal with at lfs did breed black piranhas he said he gave it up because they were so canibulistic soon as they could the fry would start eating each other so he gave it up and stuck with rb he has no reason for lying.but i guess if i didnt see it with my own eyes one can say it didnt happen either.
I believe it, anythings possible.

121 - 140 of 153 Posts