Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
The last couple of weeks, I noticed that some of my reds are developing some sort of humeral spot, like cariba have, or at least a pretty dark coloration in the same area. I read it's not very special, and that it happens more often, but I thought I'd share it with you guys :smile:

First two pics aren't really good:

These are better:

Has anyone else noticed this with his/her reds? Let me know what you all think about it.

·
The ASSMAN
20,469 Posts
I have not really noticed it on my reds, but one of my yellow natts (tern) gets that and it does get really dark sometimes.

·
OPEFE
10,249 Posts
Just another Natt trying to be a Cariba!

It will never happen!

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mr. Hannibal said:
Just another Natt trying to be a Cariba!

It will never happen!

Damn, and I hoped they would turn into cariba eventually :sad:

Anyways, I also noticed that it's not always equally more visible, but then, the fish change color throughout the day... Sometimes it seems their entire head turns black.
I'm not worried that it is a disease of any kind: they seem to be perfectly healthy.

·
Registered
14,961 Posts
Very common, since it was once thought they were the same species until 1993 when the revision was completed. At the time of the recent writing it was hypothesized that cariba and nattereri were more closely aligned and nattereri might be a sister (or subspecies) to cariba because of the closeness of the internal skeletal and the faint blemish often found in nattereri. In 1998, this has now been reviewed and discounted and P. nattereri is indeed a separate, diagnosed species from cariba and piraya. TO add; all 3 exhibit similar traits.

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hastatus said:
Very common, since it was once thought they were the same species until 1993 when the revision was completed. At the time of the recent writing it was hypothesized that cariba and nattereri were more closely aligned and nattereri might be a sister (or subspecies) to cariba because of the closeness of the internal skeletal and the faint blemish often found in nattereri. In 1998, this has now been reviewed and discounted and P. nattereri is indeed a separate, diagnosed species from cariba and piraya. TO add; all 3 exhibit similar traits.
Thanks for explaining, Frank!

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,487 Posts
Wishful thinking Judazz. :
: My old RBs had the same coloration near his gills. I also thought I had RBs that would eventually morph into Caribas later on from maturity. But no avail.. I dont know what it is also, I guess it would go with their temperment or signs regarding their mood.

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
RhomZilla said:
: My old RBs had the same coloration near his gills. I also thought I had RBs that would eventually morph into Caribas later on from maturity. But no avail.. I dont know what it is also, I guess it would go with their temperment or signs regarding their mood.
I wasn't actually hoping they would transform into Cariba, RhomZilla (although I wouldn't mind :
: )

Was just trying to have a little conversation about this issue, to find out how rare or common this is, what it could mean and what may cause it, and also wanted to hear what Frank had to say about it.

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,487 Posts
Judazzz said:
RhomZilla said:
I wasn't actually hoping they would transform into Cariba, RhomZilla (although I wouldn't mind :
: )

Was just trying to have a little conversation about this issue, to find out how rare or common this is, what it could mean and what may cause it, and also wanted to hear what Frank had to say about it.
Its cool bro!! I WAS HOPING they would.
And I've always wondered and wanted to post the same topic as this but never got to. But im glad you beat me to it..

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
RhomZilla said:
And I've always wondered and wanted to post the same topic as this but never got to. But im glad you beat me to it..
You're welcome, lazy

Well, back on topic now: anyone else has something to share about this?

·
Captain Britannia
4,817 Posts
my 2 small reds get this also but not all the time .the 2 larger ones i had also would get the head to go really dark
dixon

·
5 TIME CHAMPS
19,142 Posts
nice pic juda..what type of camara do you have?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts