Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just bought 2 red lobsters at my lfs, there about 3 and a half inches long, anybody know what u feed it? or how big it grows? so far there really cool

·
5 TIME CHAMPS
19,142 Posts
Iceman said:
i just bought 2 red lobsters at my lfs, there about 3 and a half inches long, anybody know what u feed it? or how big it grows? so far there really cool
there crayfish and are scavengers,they will also eat small fish..what do you have them with?

·
reasonably awesome
7,613 Posts
a crayfish site FAQ affirms that there are no freshwater lobsters-- its just a pet trade gimmick.

"Is my crayfish actually a lobster?
It is, of course, a crayfish. Lobsters are saltwater creatures. Crayfish are freshwater. The Aquarium trade name for crayfish is lobsters. I prefer to call them what they really are, crayfish."

They gladly eat sinking Shrimp pellets that any LFS sells.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i have them with a wolf fish and a snakehead, they leave them alone for now, i have some hiding spots for them

·
Registered
60 Posts
i feel sorry for anyone that would buy a crayfish, i would be willing to bet that you could catch one out of any permenant body of water in america.

they eat plant matter, and meat.

they are a
for any planted tank...

i caught one in a creek behind my house and decided to toss it into my dutch setup a while ago, thinkin it would just cruise around the tank eating whatever meat i tossed in there, it ate every little spec of plant matter in the tank. only 20 gallons, but it was ALOT OF PLANTS for one little lobster to munch on in the 8 hours i was sleeping.

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
piranha45 said:
a crayfish site FAQ affirms that there are no freshwater lobsters-- its just a pet trade gimmick.

"Is my crayfish actually a lobster?
It is, of course, a crayfish. Lobsters are saltwater creatures. Crayfish are freshwater. The Aquarium trade name for crayfish is lobsters. I prefer to call them what they really are, crayfish."

They gladly eat sinking Shrimp pellets that any LFS sells.
Thank you Piranha 45 - What have I been saying!!!!!

lobsters are SALTWATER!!!!

also crayfish come in many species - some will eat slightly differant things than others

·
The ASSMAN
20,469 Posts
The red lobsters are a kind of crayfish but they have a much tougher shell and larger claws than the gray crafish that are usually found in LFS. I have found that they did fine in my pygo tanks when the averave crayfish lasts about a day. The blue lobsters are another form of crayfish, but they have a thin shell like the normal crafish, that is why they do not do as well.
Innes, I dont think anyone is saying the are not a form of crayfish, but the ones I kept have a much heavier shell, larger claws and are a nice red color.
They are also very territorial. I had one in my pygo tank for a few months and tried to add another the same size. He lasted about 1/2 an hour when the orriginal went into the new guys cave, killed him and pushed him out.

·
im offended and this is tastless,take it down &#33
4,277 Posts
Iceman said:
i have them with a wolf fish and a snakehead, they leave them alone for now, i have some hiding spots for them
u have a wolffish and a snakehead together? sounds like a disaster eventually

·
The ASSMAN
20,469 Posts
piranha45 said:
damnit gurke, NO.

See, theyre all crayfish. Even that austalian one that looks like an outright lobster.
Hey dumbass, did I not say they were a type of crayfish?

Here, let my highlight the very first sentence in my post.

The red lobsters are a kind of crayfish but they have a much tougher shell and larger claws than the gray crayfish that are usually found in LFS.
Did you read my post at all or are you telling me there are not different kinds of crayfish?

Oh, and that picture does not look like the red ones I am talking about........the ones I am talking about are actually red

·
Registered
711 Posts
instead of catching crayfish, i reccomend going to a bait shop instead. i just got a dozen for $1.99... the only problem is, you have to buy a dozen...

·
Registered
362 Posts
Big al's where i get my fish stuff they sell feeder crayfish now I dont know if they will eat my p's or my p's will eat them or wether they will leave eachother alone wonder if u could clarify this??

·
Registered
256 Posts
i bought a "red lobster " a couple of days ago and pu it in with my p's and oscar and the picked at it for a bit but the lobster held his own.
If there are no freshwater lobsters, and i do have a red crayfish.... what are the differences between a lobster and crayfish besides the obvious salt water thing?
Size, temper, visual , scientific differences?????

·
reasonably awesome
7,613 Posts
lobsters are usually much larger have huge heavy carapaces and massive claws that could easily remove your fingers if they pinched you.

Crayfish are much more slender and lithe and small.

·
Death is fair to everyone.
5,310 Posts
Sorry p 45 i agree with G.G. These guys claws are much bigger than the typical in the creek crayfish. Not saying there lobsters. But they are closer to them than the ones sold as crayfish. I had a couple of plain crays and did not last a day. This guy keeps my natt at bay. He is a deep red and it's claws are bulkier

And i believe they will get about 8 inches

·
5,310 Posts
Ok your crazy
J/k. why whould i be going against what this guy is saying. Sorry i cant get these guys from the creek down the road. Sorry if ya can't see the differance.

Oh lfs has em you can order them too. doo a search on crayfish hatcheries.

·
5,310 Posts
Oh and all lobsters don't have big craws.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Are crayfish and crawfish the same thing? Or they just mispelled them...
In Las Vegas they have buffet restaurant if u wanna eat them. Very good with melted butter. Smell like mud to ppl who're not used to it though.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts