Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
k I've had my devil for a while now and during that time his 6 inch ass has always had to be on his on in his tank. I tried a few different times to co habitate but as soon as he sees a fish, he's on it like it owes him money. now long story short, I had to move my catfish, a colombian silver shark into his tank as the silversharks tank now holds my piranha and thats a no go. well I put in 2 dwarf cichlids and the shark. come morning the dwarfs are gone but the shark is happy and doin his thing. the devil dosent chase him or even notice his existence most of the time, and when he does notice the catfish it seems more in curiosity than territorial aggressivness like he's done with every other fish he's ever seen. I read somewhere that cichlids are cichlid agressive, they get defensive over that body shape. anyways I know its a "somtimes they will somtimes they wont" type of thing but do any of you have experience co habing catfish and red devils or any agressive cichlids? the red devil is over 6 inches and the cat is almost 3 inches but too big for the devil to swallow whole. any experience or advice guys

2,170 Posts
This will not work. Firstly, your RD is will pick on the columbian shark, eventually killing it. Secondly, while RD's are aggressive freshwater cichlids, you columbian shark is hardly agressive, and actually requires brackish water to flourish. These two fish have completely different requirements in terms of environment. Combining them will surely result in stress/injury/death.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
This will not work. Firstly, your RD is will pick on the columbian shark, eventually killing it. Secondly, while RD's are aggressive freshwater cichlids, you columbian shark is hardly agressive, and actually requires brackish water to flourish. These two fish have completely different requirements in terms of environment. Combining them will surely result in stress/injury/death.
Ditto.

·
^word
4,324 Posts
Actually, I believe those 'Colombian Silver Sharks' are nearly full marine if I remember right, like GSP's, brackish when you, but full marine as they age. They also get like 10" too I think.

Too bad wal-mart sells them

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
My RD (11") lived with a 4 line pimelodus(5") (basically a big pictus cat) for 3 months. Never chased it, never even looked at it, then one day I noticed the cat's head was missing.
I think large cichlids pay LESS attention to cats, but eventually, unless in a huge tank, or unless it is a HUGE catfish, then they're toast.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts