Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11,044 Posts
Midas have a more pronounced hump, many Red Devil wont ever get any hump on their heads. Red Devil are smaller when they are full grown than midas. Midas have more colors than red devil, pure red devil only is deep red.

·
tap or snap
11,898 Posts
i believe midas also have fuller lips.

·
Registered
7,773 Posts
Citrinellus (midas) have a much broader head and also have a much shorter face. Labiatus (red devil) have a very slender face and it is very long. They also have very think lips. I know there is a page that goes into much more detail on the diffrence between the two fish. Once I find it I will post it up

Edit: Found It
http://www.cichlidae.com/articles/a106.php

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks guys.. especially to Lemmy's link's thats a great article.
how about this guy on the pic? red devil right? it has thick lips. also is there a way to tell if its pure breed?

thanks

·
reasonably awesome
7,613 Posts
due to the immense level of hybridization between the two fish, its pretty much impossible to find out whether its 100% pure breed or not without serious genetics lab testing... Visual semblances can't cut it. The fish could be 3/4s devil, but still 1/4 midas. Only sure-fire way to get a pure breed is to get it from a reputable fish dealer, notably Jeff Rapps.

·
Registered
11,044 Posts
piranha45 said:
due to the immense level of hybridization between the two fish, its pretty much impossible to find out whether its 100% pure breed or not without serious genetics lab testing... Visual semblances can't cut it. The fish could be 3/4s devil, but still 1/4 midas. Only sure-fire way to get a pure breed is to get it from a reputable fish dealer, notably Jeff Rapps.
[snapback]830139[/snapback]​
lemmy has a great looking pure Red Devil.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.