Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
About six months ago I started a tank consisting of 3 clown loaches(1.5in.) and a reed fish(1ft.). A month later I added an irridescent shark (1ft.) and 2 bala sharks (2in.). Then, two months later I added my first red belly. Currently, I am down to the 3 clowns, the reed fish, 1 bala and three red bellies. The 2 new piranhas are about 7 inches and were eating feeders prior to my purchase. Let me add that the missing fish weren't killed by the piranhas. My first question is do my non-piranhas have a chance of surviving? Second, will my original red belly start to eat feeders now (it only ate flakes before) and will it get along with the other two? Third, my original red belly ( at least I was told it was one) looks very different from my other two. It is much darker in color, doesn't have the extended lower jaw and is a lot faster. However, it has exactly the same fins, has a red belly, is carnivorous and schools with the slightly larger piranhas. Is this a red belly? Is it a red belly mixed with something else? Will it get along with the others even though it looks different? Lastly, how can I get them to be more aggressive? They seem very lazy or spoiled and wont eat. Are the other fish skrewing up the chain? Any info on these guys would be appreciated and thank-you for your time. Curtis.

·
"The Dancing Banana Man"
7,760 Posts
nope, the red belly will eat them all over time. maybe not a two foot shark, but all fish are basicly a piranha's lunch. Over time they will die.

However many people have had good luck with keeping more then prianhas in a tank of them.

However with a fish 2ft long i woulnt want to chance it and i would buy other tank for one of them.

Hope that helps.

Edit: Keeping them WELL feed will also help, but i still wouldnt chance it.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Doesn't really matter if the small ones die. The 2 ft. shark is no longer in the tank. And, any idea why the first one is so different from the other two?

·
"The Dancing Banana Man"
7,760 Posts
then it might be ok,
Just feed them well, and take care of them, it might work. All i am saying is piranha like to be keept with in their own breed, and simi- same size. Like dont put a 1incher with a 9 inch piranha and think they will be ok.

·
Registered
7,634 Posts
sounds like your original piranha is actually a pacu. Pacu look just like piranhas to people who don't know any better. a lot of places sell pacu as piranha because of their similarities. Pacu tend to eat more of fruit and nuts. the overbite or lack of an underbite should be the clearest indication that you have a pacu.

Joe

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Genin said:
sounds like your original piranha is actually a pacu. Pacu look just like piranhas to people who don't know any better. a lot of places sell pacu as piranha because of their similarities. Pacu tend to eat more of fruit and nuts. the overbite or lack of an underbite should be the clearest indication that you have a pacu.

Joe
Hey if this is a pacu then take a look at its lower jaw and its set of teeth. Are they double rowed. If so its a pacu. Got any pics ?

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nope, no double row of teeth. I hardly doubt it's a pacu. I borrowed out my Digital camera to a friend so ill get it back and take a pic for you within a couple days.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This just in: The damn thing is a Pacu. "Bloody Hell!" So... I guess my next question is whether or not a Pacu will get along with a RBP. Do they? They are schooling together and he's a little smaller.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts