Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I know this is probably a dumb question, but i have a few baby Red bellies who are doing absolutely awesome in their tank and growing super quick. I notice (always at night and when the lights have usually been off in the room) that the ends of their fins turn black. Is this normal adaptation to nighttime environment?

Bill

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
billthomason said:
Hey everyone, I know this is probably a dumb question, but i have a few baby Red bellies who are doing absolutely awesome in their tank and growing super quick. I notice (always at night and when the lights have usually been off in the room) that the ends of their fins turn black. Is this normal adaptation to nighttime environment?

Bill
Don't understand what you mean by there fins turning black,
can you give more information please.

MAD

·
Captain Britannia
4,817 Posts
my larger reds do that also when the light is off loosing the red in them ,the reds i had were also very dark which reds get once they put on size
dixon

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,487 Posts
MAD piranhas said:
billthomason said:

Bill
Don't understand what you mean by there fins turning black,
can you give more information please.

MAD
I understand the coloration of the body changing during night time, but "fins"??? All I can come up with is that the darkness of the room might make the shades of the fins darker than usual. Other than that, I havent seen that in my Ps myself.

·
Registered
14,961 Posts
The fin coloration is usually from pigments and not uncommon. If you read my section on Pygocentrus there is mention of the type pigment found on fins some of it in appearance of a frill by locality.

P. nattereri

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,487 Posts
I have a Rhom that recently begining to show blue on his fins.. mostly the rear. The colors were showing a little bit when I first bought it from the previous owner, but now it shows even more, plus its in a tank with black backround

·
Registered
351 Posts
i have 2 that the whole body is turning black but they are my breeders and color change is one of the signs of breeding but they have never done this before

·
Registered
135 Posts
well it's night at my house and the ends of my p's fins are dark but nothin new. They are always like that, nothing changes day or night in my p's colors. :
:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts