Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
i wanted to throw in a pacu with my 1.5 inch red bellies. how big should the pacu be if i do throw it in, will it survive, get enough food, etc...
i also have 3/4 inch albino oscar, and a 4inch pleco. are pacus agressive to begin with? or will they become agressive once i put them in there. thx

·
OPEFE
9,941 Posts
They can live together, still, with time the Pacu (Tambaqui) will nead at least a 300g tank, so you get the 300g or don´t buy the Tambaqui.

We are talking about a fish that can reach 2 feet long, can break aquarium glass, heaters, filters, and sometimes can be a very aggressive fin nipper (in my experience as a hobbyst)

! Not enough room is hell for this kind of fish!

I have 2 little ones (about 2 inches) and geting regretful about.

1 sold 2 bigger ones about 3 years ago...i forgot the lesson!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah, i heard it gets somewhere around 22". i dont mean to have it for a VERY long time. i mean it must take awhile to get that big. ill probably sell it or something once it gets over 10 inches or something. thx.

why do you regret having them?

·
OPEFE
9,941 Posts
Most LFS won´t receive back this fish once it get such a monster...then you´ll have to keep it in small tank and he will suffer till he die!

Still, you are right, you can keep it till it gets 10-11 inches long!

It´s a wonderfull fish but i think was not created for home aquaria!

·
OPEFE
9,941 Posts
And remember, as far as i know fish experts recommend 300g for each adult Tambaqui...i think is too much!

·
OPEFE
9,941 Posts
The Oscar can reach about 12", the Red about 12" and the Tambaqui 2 feet long!

Still, you can buy a Tambaqui (Pacu) at 1 inch or less...but you must know it will grow!

·
OPEFE
9,941 Posts
Just wait till it really grow up...!

·
Registered
507 Posts
Yes, Pacus can be very agressive, but not in a rip everything to sh*t kind of way. they have a playful attitude that I found rubbed off on my P's. It goes both ways though, I noticed the Pacu mimicking (sp?) my P's all the time. As far as your Pacu surviving... it more than likely will be fine. Remember though, don't bother getting it if you're not planning on keeping it. My Pacu grew to seven inches in less than four months... I sold it two days ago.

·
Registered
89 Posts
well theyre pretty cheap. im gonna go to my lfs today and grab a pacu or 2. if i dont want it anymore ill just throw it in my brothers tank. he has a red devil that we call ho chi mihn(
) cause hes killed 16 other cichlids (2 being someone elses), 3 lobsters, a pleco, and a texas that was WAY bigger than him.

·
Captain Britannia
4,605 Posts
if you do get a pacu make sure it is @ the same size as the reds i had a 4'' pacu that ate 2 1'' reds a couple of years ago and was mean as hell i sold it and will never buy one again .
it grew to 6'' in 3 months from 2-3 '' and i would take what everybody else advises they grow big and fast
dixon

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.