Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im starting to really like my reds again its taken a while for em to come out of hiding but they have they eat infront of me they dont flinch half as much as they did and im really starting to enjoy them more now i almost gave up to quick and sold em on. just thought id share

·
Registered
371 Posts
Ironically I got a bigger tank (65g to 125g) and thought it would be better, but because I couldn't setup the 125 in my living room, I'm not seeing my P's as often and they are becoming more skittish whenever I do go near the tank. They used to be in a high traffic area and now they're off the beaten path... so no more getting lost in the tank while sitting on my couch - I need to put a couch in the other room with the bigger tank now... it's as if I miss seeing them, so I can appreciate your happiness with them.

·
"Pygocentrus cariba"
11,881 Posts
I'm glad that they are coming around for you. I think a lot of people get rid of them before they will even give them a chance, but I'm glad that you had patience and stuck with them.
~Taylor~

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Thanks for sharing that with us. I've been debating keeping my 4inchers, and after reading this thread I'm definitely keeping them. Mine are gradually coming out of their shells, I guess I'll just have to be patient. Do you have hiding places in your tank?

·
LionHart
13,099 Posts
One thing I did that worked well to get my pygos over their skittishness was to have a helium filled balloon "Hang out in front of the tank" all day every day.

I figured if they would get totally used to a presence in front of the tank all the time, then my walking up to them wouldn't bother them.

I tied the balloon on a string and then tied a weight to the other end and set it in front of the tank so that the balloon was right at the same height as the glass.
I even went to far as to put an occilating fan in the room so that the balloon would move from side to side.
(I didn't put the fan directly on it, I put it across the room and set it to "Occilate" so that there would be a variable breeze in it's direction.)

Low and behold, they got used to movement right in front of the tank.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
good idea piranha man. and sacrifice the answer to your question is no they have nowhere i like it like this. they got used to me and people passing quite quick. also best thing i got was the powerhead they love it

·
Registered
20 Posts
Far out Piranha Man. Who said creativity was dead? Yeah, my P's are getting to where they will actually come up to the glass and check me out. Especially the "Alpha" of the group. I have cichlids as well and they are far more interactive, but piranhas are just awesome fish all around. All of my fish are in my living room/ dining room. Let me just say that I feel that this hobby is one that just about anyone who comes over appreciates. Most of the time my friends leave my house saying that they have an interest in getting into fishkeeping because of my displays. It truly is rewarding to know that your time and money pay off like that.

·
Innes is da Man!
5,907 Posts
happy to see you stuck with it, they can be great friends

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.