Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

As I mentioned in another thread, I've got 5 small RBP's in what I'm guessing is a 75g tank. I keep the lights off, because when I turn it on, they go CRAZY. I've read on here, that they'll get used to it eventually.. but like, how long does that take? they swim around violently when I turn it on, smashing into the walls and rocks. I don't want to hurt my fish, but I would LOVE to have the lights on.

If I leave it on, is it typical to risk injury while getting them used to it?

How long does it take? an hour? a day?

Thanks.

·
AQHU RULES
4,609 Posts
NO1, I DONT THINK YOU SHOULD BE USING A UV LIGHT IN YUR TANK,

maybe use different colour electrical tape around your louresent tubes but that abou it, best thing to do is turn the lights on for maybe 1 hour then 2 and so on etcetc..................

or graduallu make the lights less dim each weeks, they will gt use to it eventually

·
Registered
8,568 Posts
You could try several different approaches here. First, you need to dim the lights
1. Wrap the bulb in electrical tape candy cane style.
2. Place window tint between the bulb and the top of the tank.
3. Decrease the number of bulbs over the 75g.
All piranhas will be freaked out by the light coming on, thus, that is very normal. I would suggest dimming the lights, and when they are used to it slowly increase the amount of light that enters the tank. They will get used to even the brightest light in time.

The whole process for them to get used to the lights will take a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Try turning on the room lights as much as possible... maybe even letting in some sunlight before you hit them with the switch to the tank lights. You're probably startling/scaring them with the "all-of-a-sudden" light... It's kinda like you having a hangover and someone turning on that light or opening a curtain while you were passed out. That can hit you hard, right? Well, maybe that's just my personal experience as far as hangovers go
, but try moderating their light exposure instead of blasting them.

Also, P's naturally don't like bright lights and prefer darkness, so you may consider either suppressing the light with aluminum foil wrapping (like a candy cane) or another method to cut the amount of light hitting the tank. Perhaps a lesser wattage?

·
Registered
8,568 Posts
Sorry, I did not even see the UV light part. The UV light bulb should only be used in a UV Sterilizer. The light emitted from the bulb can damage your vision and your fish's.

Good points above ^^^

If you have a window in the room set the timer to come on after the sun has come up. That way, you can have indirect light from the window gradually light the tank prior to the lights just being kicked on.

Or, you can add some Black Water Extract to help dim the water.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Sorry, I did not even see the UV light part. The UV light bulb should only be used in a UV Sterilizer. The light emitted from the bulb can damage your vision and your fish's.
correct - I also overlooked that. So.... along with the other advice, get a non-UV light

·
Registered
218 Posts
guys, i think he means flourescent lights, not straight UV. flourescents do produce a small amount of UV but probably less than natural sunlight.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Definitely use a timer - cuts down on the freaking out immensely when the lights come on, since you're not right up on top of them at the moment of "instant sunrise"

·
Registered
272 Posts
i have a fluresant shop light that instead of placing directly over the tank, i put on my whipser fillters, so it lights of the back drop more, and some light gets into the tank.

when i first got my p , i left the lights off as much as possible in my room, only putting on a desk lamp and tv. I would only use my room light when i absolutely had to.

then i turned one light on in my room, eventually working up to the other light in my room.

i just recenly have turned on my shoplight, but when i have this on i have all of the room lights off. He seems to be doing okay, just take it slow. But dont let him get to accustomed to no lights, you need him to get used to people and such so hes not skittish

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Or if you are cheap or really poor like me you can use brown paper towel.

Can be found everywhere. In school/workplaces etc.
I currently use 2 strips of paper on my 10,000K. Dimmed it down over 50%.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Or if you are cheap or really poor like me you can use brown paper towel.:laugh:
Can be found everywhere. In school/workplaces etc.
I currently use 2 strips of paper on my 10,000K. Dimmed it down over 50%.
paper towels... I mean, is aluminum foil really that hard to come by? I'm just kidding... do whatever works, but I think it's worth the extra pennies for some foil - to avoid the paper either getting wet or burnt.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts