Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
rhombeus
3,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i found three rbp's adult sizes for $40.00 bucks each
i'm so happy i currently have three right now.but the lfs said these p's came in with some oscars and although i seen a big oscar in xenon video the mouse
i don't here p's and oscars together to often. is this something to consider. i have to small red tiger oscars right now and didn't want to get more but if this is something to good to pass up let me no please. also would my three p's i have right now fight with the oscars or should i say would the oscars fight with my p's. i have to pick up on sat . THANK YOU

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
I have a severum with my red bellys, it does work for the moment, but I added the piranhas when they were small to my already 7" severum, at the time I had a cichlid community and I removed all the fish that got nipped from the piranhas.
now only the severum and the piranhas remain in the tank and they do quite well, the severum does get the odd nip, but nothing too bad.
the piranhas are still smaller than the severum - about 5-6" and if anything the piranhas give each other more grief than they give the severum, also the severum is sitll in charge of the tank, but does not terrarise the piranhas.........much.

but overall, if you value the oscars, don't put them with piranhas

·
"The Dancing Banana Man"
7,760 Posts
main rule of tumb though, just about any fish might not live for long, some more then others, i think it also depends on the fish, we all know goldfish dont last long. some catfish do, some dont.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I had a 10" Oscar in with my reds for a month. Came home one day and he had no tail and a hole the size of a baseball straight through the middle. It works for some and not others.

-Kevin-

·
Registered
834 Posts
Yup everything in the tank may eventually become food, if they get hungry enough. So to be safe try not to put anything you really don't want to loose in a tank wit hyour p's. Such as an exotic fish or even an exotic pleco.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I agree with Grosse on this one...I currently have my gf's oscar with my red's because she bought it and has no place to house it for the moment. But once she doesn't he's goin by by. I also wonder what type of stress you're putting on both the oscar and and piranha's having that mixture in there.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
well just from what I've try'd putting a larger fish in with baby p's can last a long time, but the fish must all ways be biggerthen the p's and has to be an aggressive fish. If your p's have never lived with anything before they will see everything as food. If the p's grow up with different fish they will leave the bigger ones alone as long as there well fed. just my insite.
MAD

·
rhombeus
3,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks for all the info!
i went to get them on friday instead i couldn't wait
i decided not to get the oscars.they just looked like you said rosecityrhom a little bit stressed. the p's were on one side close to the glass and the oscars were wedged up on the other side.it looked like the both go out of there way to keep space. and i don't think thats right.

·
"The Dancing Banana Man"
7,760 Posts
nike said:
thanks for all the info!
i went to get them on friday instead i couldn't wait
i decided not to get the oscars.they just looked like you said rosecityrhom a little bit stressed. the p's were on one side close to the glass and the oscars were wedged up on the other side.it looked like the both go out of there way to keep space. and i don't think thats right.
Smart choice, over stressed fish

·
Registered
211 Posts
i have an oscar with my 5 RB, they been together for 2 months now and all is good, except they nibble on his fins and tried to steal a goldfish out of the oscars mouth and bit his lips off.

Will they live together? yes, does it guarntee your oscar will be healthy, without any damage whatsoever, no. so yes and no.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.