Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a newbie,

I bought 5 of RBP last week. And they swim up against driftwood or gravel to scratch themselves..., gill area, especially at night when I turn off the light. Some PPLs from other forum said it's kind normal, is that right?

I put aqua salt into my tank under the intruction on the box of salt. ( 1tsp / 5 gal ) last Sunday. Until now, the situation isn't looking better, but also isn't worse!

All fishes are eating well. I did water testing yesterday: pH 6.8 gH<20mg kH<40mg

Is this a health problem? Should I treat the fish with medicine, or just salt bath? Thanks

Cheers

RBPattack

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
yeah man mine do it all the time ppl told me its couse of poor water conditions not in my case my water is well taken care of so i think they just do it couse there itchy. lets see some pics man :laugh:

·
Registered
193 Posts
doubt your using this but ever since i started puttin algea fix in my tank my serras have been itchin so im just going to stop and do more water changes

·
LionHart
13,101 Posts
What they're doing is called "Flashing."

It's normal for them to do once in a rare while, but if they're doing it over and over again like you say... it's a sign of external parasites.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What they're doing is called "Flashing."

It's normal for them to do once in a rare while, but if they're doing it over and over again like you say... it's a sign of external parasites.
Thanks All,

I'm not sure, but they kinda never do it when tank is bright ( day time or light on ). But when tank is dark, they start to do it. I think it is more than " once in a rare while ", it is not quite "often".

So do i need to treat them with aquarium medicine at this point? Thanks.

·
LionHart
13,101 Posts
Are they "Divebombing" the gravel, turning at the last minute and rubbing their sides against the gravel?

They also do this when there are conditions to the water that irritate their scales and skin.

It's a way of scratching.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Are they "Divebombing" the gravel, turning at the last minute and rubbing their sides against the gravel?

They also do this when there are conditions to the water that irritate their scales and skin.

It's a way of scratching.
Thanks Piranha-man,

When you pointed water conditions, what is the main concern about water: ph? DH?...?

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
ammonia ,nitrate and nitrite. Check those with a water test kit, Get the Bottles of solution and it will come with test tubes and cards that show you what the reading is at and if your not sure a book that will tell you what you want your levels at, ...Did you cycle your tank??

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ammonia ,nitrate and nitrite. Check those with a water test kit, Get the Bottles of solution and it will come with test tubes and cards that show you what the reading is at and if your not sure a book that will tell you what you want your levels at, ...Did you cycle your tank??
Thanks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts