Piranhas Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tonight when i got home from work i noticed an unusual white swell on both sides of one of my rbp it will not sit still and let me get a look at it but at first i thought it was an infection of its digestive tract now after taking a couple pictures i think it swallowed plastic plants and is stuck in its tract i dont think there is anything i can do for it besides hope it passes it and doesnt die, anybody ever seen anything like this sh!t before, i added salt and melafix to help its wounds if it passes the plastic too mend better anything else i should do???

gonna get pics right now

·
OPEFE
10,250 Posts
Pics are kind of blurry so it's hard to know what's really happening... anyway i hope he poops it out...
!

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
It is very unlikely that a Pygocentrus Piranha would eat a plastic plant.
These fishes do not eat plants.
They may, however, bite them. But then spit it out immediately.

The pics a blurry, but I think something else has happened.

Harry

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
im now 100% sure he ingested leafs from a plastic decor plant because i watched him poop 1 leaf out it was fairly small and there is still 1 leaf poking out from his insides, i hope he will make it and not die ive had him/her since dime size... tomorrow if the plant has not passed i am going to net him and take some decent pictures because i can see the plastic plant sticking out and im sure its painful as all hell,... sh*t a kidney stone hurts like hell to pass let alone a plastic plant.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I took GG's advice and netted my RBP so i could remove the plants from his insides, i succeeded in netting my piranha, when i had him on my makeshift medical table (tray filled with water and covered with wet towels) i noticed that the plants were gone i must haves scared him so much netting him that he sh!t them out the wound was pretty bad its about a 1/2" open slit and was bleeding... i dont have a hospital tank so im going to have to treat the entire tank, im off to do water changes and dose some salt and melafix.

BTW thank you very much for your help GG

·
Nurses Do It Better
10,001 Posts
Holy crap. I've heard of this as a possibility but never seen it. I think i'm going to remove my fake plants. Damn, poor fish ripped himself a new a-hole. Wishing the best of luck with recovery.:nod: I'm gonna move this to saved topics.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i think my P was born with beauty and not brains
but all is looking good now and this was probably a freak accident, i think it swallowed the leaves while striking food, because i watch them bite and spit out leaves all day and i know they would never intentionally eat plastic, but im just glad it wasnt and infection which i thought before i saw the pointy green tips coming out of him, i fed my other RBPs but i didnt let this guy have any i think its best to not feed him until he is on the mend. and i took out alot of my plants i just threw a grocery bag full away, i left the ones that didnt look too difficult to sh!t out.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I had a p' that would eat my plastic plants.Iremoved all of them and went to live plants.I knew he had a few leaves in him so I scared the sh*t out of him so he would puke em out.This method works well untill the plastic reaches the digestive track.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Im going to have to remember that for next time (hopefully there is no next time) so you just scare them until they throw it back up?? or do you put your finger down their throat until the puke it back up
j/k

·
Registered
555 Posts
Thats a first for me. Hope ur p heals up, best of luck. i remember a similar incident, only it involved me and a ......well you probably dont wanna hear the rest.
LOL

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
think my P was born with beauty and not brains but all is looking good now and this was probably a freak accident, i think it swallowed the leaves while striking food, because i watch them bite and spit out leaves all day and i know they would never intentionally eat plastic, but im just glad it wasnt and infection which i thought before i saw the pointy green tips coming out of him, i fed my other RBPs but i didnt let this guy have any i think its best to not feed him until he is on the mend. and i took out alot of my plants i just threw a grocery bag full away, i left the ones that didnt look too difficult to sh!t out.
Well the same P has decided to eat some more fake leaves, he truelly is retarded now i have completely removed all plastic plants from my tank, i feel bad for him now hes going to have to rip his bung hole open again...no need for additional pics im becoming a pro at this just wanted to update and now hes gone and ate some more leaves and is currently poopping them out.

·
Registered
7,000 Posts
This is why I never use fake plants...and yes p's do eat plastic plants I had one of my reds eat one and I had to net it out and pull the piece of plastic plant out of the anus because it could'nt sh*t it out.

·
Nurses Do It Better
10,001 Posts
Dead Thread

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.