Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 3 reds in my 55 gallon right now. They are about 4 to 4 1/2 inches in length. I know this has been attempted before to keep 3 in a 55 for life but if I decide to do this, how big will my reds grow to be before getting stunted because I know a 55 would stunt their growth somewhat. My guess would be 7 inches each before they stop growing, anyone else have any ideas how big they could possibly get?

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
I have 3 reds in my 55 gallon right now. They are about 4 to 4 1/2 inches in length. I know this has been attempted before to keep 3 in a 55 for life but if I decide to do this, how big will my reds grow to be before getting stunted because I know a 55 would stunt their growth somewhat. My guess would be 7 inches each before they stop growing, anyone else have any ideas how big they could possibly get?
A few years ago (before i found this site), i had 5 in a 40 gal and feed them only gold fish. When they grew about 4 inches, one died. The last 4 lived but they grew about 5 1/2 to 6 atmost toward the last year i had them (i had them for 2 1/2 years). But since i started this hobby again, this site has informed me very well on what i need to do and not to do.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
not to b mean or anything but why not get a bigger tank a 75 is perfect for 3 and about the same footprint. i think it is just mean to put fish in a tank that isnt meant for there size.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
not to b mean or anything but why not get a bigger tank a 75 is perfect for 3 and about the same footprint. i think it is just mean to put fish in a tank that isnt meant for there size.
Many peeps dont really think about their piranhas well being, sometime people dont have the space or the money for a bigger tank. Usually a bigger tank means more work in some cases. Pretty much use what they have.....If i had the info i have now, then i would get the bigger tank back then.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
i personally think theyd be fine in there man from yours to a 75 means 6" more thick not even much. so id say keep your tank over a 75 if your going to do a tank switch then do alot more then from a 55 to a 75 really pointless IMO

·
Registered
7,634 Posts
as mentioned above the design of the tank is also important. in the case of piranhas the footprint is a very important factor. Piranhas will do well in a long and deep tank, it doesn't have to be tall. The most important factor IMO is water quality. a lot of people's fish get stunted because they don't have the water quality condusive to good health. Get a tank with a decent footprint, do your water changes, don't overfeed and you should be able to grow your P's out to their potential.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Make sure you have very good filteration and do multiple water changes during the week because water quality will be bad from too much waste.

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
I've kept 3 RBPs in a 55 for 5 years and they are 7-8 inches.
5 years=7-8"?.....suppose to be bigger

you can keep 3 reds in a 55g for a long time but you need a 75g for life :nod:

·
OPEFE
10,249 Posts
Personally i recommend you get a 75g tank or bigger... 3 Ps deserve a bigger tank simply as that... if you can't afford it you should sell/trade them for a solo small Serra species (Sanchezi, Irritans...) for life...
!

·
Is a Boss.
4,236 Posts
i personally think theyd be fine in there man from yours to a 75 means 6" more thick not even much. so id say keep your tank over a 75 if your going to do a tank switch then do alot more then from a 55 to a 75 really pointless IMO
the fact is a 55 is 12" deep. that is about the max size of a red. a 75 is 18" deep so the 12" fish can actually turn around. anyone who says a 55 is good for life does not know what they are talking about.

·
Registered
8,568 Posts
I would agree with Genin. Water quality would be the most important factor. Three reds would work in a 55g tank for a while (perhaps a year or so), but a 75g tank would be opt for life.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
75gallon+ for life!

Poor guys, 12" turnaround for 5years.
They probably got stunted due to this.
I'm not saying that you are a bad person or anything. -_-

·
Allergic to stupid sh*t!!!
4,364 Posts
yeah, 75+, and water change water change water change!!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts