Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I had a 20 gal waterhome with 5 young RB's in it. It was plenty of room, but they grew faster than I was expecting. I found a new tank on craigslist, I think its a 75+ gal. Anyway. It included an Aquaclear 500, but for some reason it doesn't have a motor. I don't think he meant to give me a non-functioning one, but he's gone out to the bar for some beers, and I'm guessing won't be online tonight. I'm sure I can get it tomorrow off him, if he has it. If not, I'll go buy one, no issue there..

The problem is, I had to trade him my 20 gal for this tank, as he wanted a smaller one because hes moving. It's just for a turtle.

So, I have this new large tank, with no filter for one night. My RB's looked pale and sort of bobbing around in the water when I added them. I had them in a small betta tank, and a large juice jug while we traded tanks. Only a couple hours.

I've got a really small air stone in there with a small pump from one of my smaller tanks, but it's not very big, and I don't know if its adding much air to the water.

Is there anything I can do to help them survive the night a little easier? They're all kind of sitting on the bottom, hanging out. Every so often they swim around, but mostly just sit there. It's late and all the stores are closed, so I can't do much right now for them, which sucks.

Anyone have any advice on what I can do, or should be doing?

Thanks.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I have one in there, but it's meant for a 6 gallon tank. It's adding air, but I don't know how much. I'll take a picture in about 30 minutes, my camera is charging.

Theyre swimming around alot more, much much more, which is a good sign.

·
Registered
139 Posts
If you have a wal-mart near by, they stay open all night. They have a limited selection on supplies but I'm sure you could find something a little bit better than what you have now if your willing to make the trip. Just a thought

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wish heh. No 24 hour wal-marts here. The only 24 hour stores are 7-11, kinkos and like, the airport?

Good idea though. (I also don't drive and transit shuts down at 12:30 am or so, in an hour. Also it's -35 C' outside right now)

·
Caribe > Any Other Piranha
6,351 Posts
just make sure the water is good and there is enough oxygen....

ur P's might be just acting weird from all the stress...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

You can see the small air stone (in the bottom left corner)

The small stream of bubbles..

So yeah, its a decent sized tank, not bad for 150 bucks.

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
I would think it would take more than one night for the little guys to deplete the oxygen in there.

If it helps, years ago I had 2 6 inch red bellies run out of air do to there air bubbler breaking and me not noticing it. They went to the surface and would swim around with there mouths right below the surface, just slowly swimming back and forth like that. Then they were fine 10 minutes after I replace the bubbler.

So if your piranha are staying twards the bottom I would guess that they are fine as far as oxygen goes. If they act the same as mine did you dont have to worry until they start swimming at the top.

good luck....

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
water changes to nutralize some of the water. if you have a heater turn down the temp a few degrees

less heat, more air!

·
AQHU RULES
4,609 Posts
after readin your post normally when a P is lacking in oxygen they go to the surface and nt just sit on the bottom, remember P's come from water which is naturally low in oxygen, well reds do anyway...............

the air stone is a good idea as this creates surface agitation hence provides better oxygen/water diffusion..........

just try and get a filter asap.........

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Heh. They look like they're doing fine. The guy I got it from didn't know it was missing and apologized profusely, he'll be dropping the piece i need off any time now. Still need to get a lid ..

We have 5 adult cats, 3 baby kittens. They love the fish, though none of them have been dumb enough to jump in any of the tanks yet.

They're swimming around and schooling together, everyone looks fine. Dropped a cube of frozen plankton in earlier, but don't know if they actually ate any of it.

I really wish I could turn the light on above the tank. Unfortunately the P's freak out and swim around, violently bashing into rocks/glass, so I keep it off to avoid injury from that. Sucks.

Tank also needs more sand, but I just haven't had the time to siphon any heh

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts