Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello everyone
I have a quick question:
I currently have a f/w stingray on the way and i decided to go online and do some last minute research to make sure all the requirments are met from previous research and i ran into something interesting.
I was on flat-fish.com come in their newbie section and it said to NOT use carbon in the tank with a stingray only biological media. Does anybody know anything about this?
If anyone knows anything please let me know because my guy is coming in tomorrow morning so i do have to fix the situation if there is a problem.
thank you
Grbeast

·
Photographic Genius
3,492 Posts
I'm not exactly sure why, but it seems that some Rays can be sensitive to carbon, even the best brands. I used to use research grade pelletized carbon, but stopped since I got into Rays. I noticed that one of them, the male Leo, would get all blotchy only a couple hours after adding fresh carbon. His dark disk would get all sorts of light spots on them. If the carbon was removed, the marks would go away after a couple days. I thought it was just coincidence at first, but every single time fresh carbon was added, the spots would come back. After the carbon was removed the spots would go away.

A healthily maintained tank doesn't need anything besides biological media anyways unless meds are to be removed.

·
Registered
961 Posts
no u can use carbon. its just that most rays are very sensitive and need very perfect water. Motoro and Hystrix will be the best hardy ray to start with. Good Luck on yo new Ray

·
Photographic Genius
3,492 Posts
Curley said:
no u can use carbon. its just that most rays are very sensitive and need very perfect water. Motoro and Hystrix will be the best hardy ray to start with. Good Luck on yo new Ray
[snapback]872474[/snapback]​
Have you ever kept Rays? They do need perfect water, but it does, in fact, seem that some can be sensitive to carbon, or at least the materials that the carbon is made out of. When I said that my Leopoldi was sensitive to it, I meant that his water was fine, as it always is. I've had him for about a year and a half now and my Motoro for about two and a half years. Rays don't last that long unless you've got a proper maintenance schedule down.

As far as which species is the best for beginners, I do recommend Motoros, but definately not Hystrix. They are not the "hardiest" out there. Here is a link to my general guide to Ray care. Hope it helps!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hey guys thanks for the replys. I think i have gotten a grasp on the deal with the carbon. thank you for the information

Also i am getting a reticulatus. i know they are not as hardy as the motoro but i found baby "tea cups" for only $30.00 so i figured might as well give it a try i was amazed by them so. And since i have decided to cheat on my piranhas with my new found love i did do whole lot of research on the internet and bought a couple books so i am all set up for my new baby when i get it next week.

wish me luck because i might need it from what i hear

take it easy
grbeast

1 - 6 of 6 Posts