Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hello everyone i would just like to share some pics of my new reticulata i just received it(don't know gender yet) about an hour ago and am still acclimating. Here are a couple of pics. They are not the greatest quality because i did not want to use any light at this point hopefully in a couple of days i will have much better pics.
Grbeast

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks pyro,

i couldnt resist not turning on the light and taking more pictures because he seems to be enjoying himself anyways so here are some more

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for the replys yea they are great. There really isnt much info on the internet and to tell you the truth the best place to find out everything you need to know is right here on piranha-fury. Other websites such as flat-fish.com dont really have that much info but are also alright sources. The best thing to do i found was to read the pinned posts and just read posts about rays. also a book by richard ross called freshwater stingrays. Oh yea this is a freshwater stingray it is a Reticulata.

Also yes the ray is the only thing in the tank i have it in there for now just to quarentine and get it eating and comfortable before i mix him in my community tank(possible not sure if im going to do that yet).

Also just to let whoever is interested know i got him for a great price only 30 dollars at heavenlyfish.com i found them to be the cheapest and also nice people to deal with.

well that is all for now.

·
The Lord Himself is Life to me
4,283 Posts
That is a great price. He is looking good. Congrats.

·
tap or snap
11,911 Posts
what?! kickass ray!! what size is he?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi there,

Nice healthy looking retic you have picked up for a really good price.
Nice fat tail shows good health.

We have 8 rays at the mo, 3 Leopoldis and 5 Motoros, in with Arowana ( both silver and black ) and discus.

Have had them for a few years now and we still have problems from time to time with the new babies we buy.

The main problem is getting them to eat sufficiently in the aquarium, bloodworm is only good so far, then it becomes uneconomical and nutritionally insufficient.

Our rays that have survived the juvenile stage love, earthworm, whitebait, cockle and king prawn.

Hope everything goes well for you, but it does look really healthy, you see too many come in starving thin, then its a battle to turn them around

Steve

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey guys she(i think it is a she i dont see any claspers im gonna have to take a closer look later) is about 3 inches right now still a baby but awesome.

She kept me up all night long i heard was noises from the tank i kept thinking she jumped out because she was swimming along the top and making funny noises.

I think this is normal and healthy activity but i would like to find out for sure:

She does not stop trying to climb the glass. She does that more than search the sand for food which i have seen her do it is awesome the way she blows the sand to make a hole and check it.

Besides that which i think is normal anyways she is enjoying herself i think considering her actions.

Another thing that was weird was that last night i had to fix my bubble curtain because it was under my filters and the bubbles were going in the filter and making a horrible noise so i put my hand in the fix it and she wasnt afraid of anything she came swimming around me and seemed like she wanted to play or something. But i did not attempt to touch or feed or play with her because i was not sure if she was being kind of getting ready to attack even though her tail was down. I still think it is too early for me to be touching her.

anyways that is all for now ill post some more pictures soon and please feel free to add anything i am looking forward to some good advice and experiences.
thanks again
Grbeast

·
Registered
4 Posts
The splashing at the top is totally normal, all our Leos and Moto's have a fascination for exploring every bit of the tank, one of the larger Motoro's swims upside down at the surface splashing for all she is worth.
Rays adore bubble balls, wands, curtains and a good strong bubble flow will keep them playing for hours.
They are highly inquisitive and will check out anything in the room, ours pancake on top of each other when Kate or I come in the room

Enjoy her, she looks good.

Steve

·
Registered
4 Posts
You can hand feed them.

Kate hand feeds the large Arowana we have and the rays come up the side of the glass to take whitebait and prawn from her hand.

Please note, stingray do have a poison stinger so extreme caution needs to be taken

Excellent pics of the retic

Steve

1 - 20 of 49 Posts