Piranhas Forum banner

Quick question

937 views 17 replies 14 participants last post by  SnowCichlid. 
#1 ·
Hi guys,you must be getting sick of me now,asking all these daft questions,lol

Neways,in your experiance what would be the best piranha to get for a 20 gallon tank. I'm looking to keep the tank that size for as long as possible as I dont really have room for some of the whooping tanks you lot have

See less See more
#4 ·
overbite said:
a small rhom would last for quite a while as they grow really slow and have to live on their own but when small can be quite shy.its just getting one in the uk thats the problem next uk order is august
dixon
what he said..rhoms are very slow growers

#6 ·
If you want a real piranha try Red Belly or Cariba!

#7 ·
Mr. Hannibal said:
If you want a real piranha try Red Belly or Cariba!
Snap only has a 20 gallon tank to use, and I wouldn't put more than one pygo in there when there's no room for an upgrade, nor would I get a single pygo.

I think the best choice would either be a rhom (which would probably be fine in a 20 gallon for a couple of years, buit eventually an upgrade would be inevitable).
Or a spilo (cf)/maculatus (question: could a spilo live happily in a 20g for life???).

I heard those two species are occasionally sold in pet stores in the UK, so they would be the best choice, imho.

Anyways, good luck hunting :smile:

#8 ·
Be careful going to these pet stores and buying "Black Piranha". Most of the time, the owners do not know how to identify them and they are typically other species. Check out this thread to see:

http://www.piranha-fury.com/forum/pfury/in...=ST&f=31&t=2591

I am not sure the growth rate of the spilos but I would be reasonably comfortable saying that a small spilo will be comfortable in a 20 gallon tank for quite a long time. If you get a rhom, they only grow about an inch a year (if your lucky) so in that case you will be fine too. Go to the pet store and take a good picture of their "Black Piranha" and we will tell you what it really is.

#12 ·
More to the point, can you get any other kind of piranha than Red belly piranhas, as you live in the UK?
I would be suprised if you can.
I would suggest (assuming they are available) either an Elongatus or as already suggested a Rhom
But really I wouldn't suggest using a 20 gallon tank for keeping any kind of piranha
as they just get too big.

#16 ·
Thanx guys I will definitely consider everyones suggestions,i will look into the different types of P's more and tanks aswell and of course will let you know if i do get one. I'm sure I'll be back asking for advice anyway,as I know bog al about them at the moment,lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.