Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a new tank and am having the fluval 404 shipped off the internet so it wont be here for a few days. Do I need to have that filter to start the cycle? Or would the water get nasty with no flowing water. It would only be for a few days. Probably a dumb question, but I am anxious to get the tank set up. Thanks.

·
The ASSMAN
20,570 Posts
You can set up the tank but without some type of filtration or water flow there would be no place for the bacteria to reside where it would begin the cycle process. The bacteria for the cycle is not floating in the water so there needs to be some method to have the water pass over the bacteria....hence the filter.
You can certainly set up the tank and get some feeders to start producing ammonia but you will need some surface disruption for the gas exchange....but that could be just an air pump and stone.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cool man thanks. How long should I cycle a 100 gallon tank with fluval 404? I am going to add BIO too. Thanks

·
Registered
799 Posts
Hey Curley, what kind of fish do you plan on housing in that tank? Just one filter like a fluval 404 doesn't seem like it would be enough to keep the water filtered.

·
Registered
201 Posts
yea curley man a fluval 404 ist good enough for wait what size tank did you get because i have 2 emp 400s then a fluval 304 on a 75 so if its bigger than a 75 id imgine you need to get more filtration if you plan to keep some ps

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
U guys think 2 fluval 404 would be good? So dam expensive though. Dude said he sell me a used one for cheap so maybe I ll pick that up 2. I have P's already, and I always wanted a FW RAY and maybe some discus. Thanks guys

·
Registered
37 Posts
With messy eaters and waste producers, I wouldn't skimp on filtration. I have a wet/dry filter which is for a 150 gal tank capacity. My tank is 120 gal. I have read mixed reviews on Fluval. If I were you I would read reviews and do some homework before buying a filter. No need to rush.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Curley said:
U guys think 2 fluval 404 would be good? So dam expensive though. Dude said he sell me a used one for cheap so maybe I ll pick that up 2. I have P's already, and I always wanted a FW RAY and maybe some discus. Thanks guys
[snapback]865276[/snapback]​
I hope you don't have fish in that tank now?

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
no, nothing in the tank at the moment. My P's are in a different tank. Still waiting to get some filters for the other tank. Thanks

·
Registered
26 Posts
Curley said:
TRUE.... What are the best type of filters?
[snapback]865357[/snapback]​
The best filter are eheim canisters. I use a eheim 2217 on my 90g and it keeps it crystal clear with 5 rb's in it. They arent to expensive either. You can t get a brand new one on ebay for (100-130).

·
Registered
11,318 Posts
Curley said:
TRUE.... What are the best type of filters?
[snapback]865357[/snapback]​
for your tank size (100g if i read correctly) I would say wet/dry is the best. But isnt necessary, I would say a canister+a HOB filter would be good. ehiem 2217 with an AC500 would be great.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts