Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
today i went to the store and picked up some more shrimp and some fish felets...i was gonna get talapia but my mom thought it was rather expensive to be feeding fish...we got something called pollac which is another white fish felet and looks a lot similar...my questions are is this ok to feed them first of all? does anyone have experience with this stuff? and how do you go about thawing it and feeding...there kind of big peices and i dont know how to thaw and feed the amount theyll eat and not the whole thing..

thanks in advance for all advice

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
dont know anything about pollac....to thaw cut in down a little and i put it in a small cup of cool water. i do that with all the food that goes in to my P tank

P.S.

tell your mom its not all gone in one night.....one tunasteak will last a month so i know you can make talapia last some time

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
...we got something called pollac which is another white fish felet and looks a lot similar...my questions are is this ok to feed them first of all ...
Well, Pollack (Pollachius pollachius) and Saithe or Pollock (Pollachius virens) are Cod related maritime fishes and yes they belong to white fish group.
They are OK to feed to Piranhas actually. But there is one problem with them. The same applies to Alaska Pollock (Theragra chalcogramma) too. The meat is a bit loose and soft, so it may cause some mess in the water after feeding frenzy.

Harry

·
Registered
111 Posts
Ive fed mine this since they were 3". Very cheap and yes, very messy. Ive used a product from Kent to clear up the water when Ive needed to take pics. A good filter will take care of the messy water and a pleco(if you fish will allow it, mine do) really helps..

Adam

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
I cut the fillets to the size I'm gonna use, then wrap each piece in ceran wrap, then put them all in one bigger sandwich bag and freeze it. So you dont have to thaw the whole batch every time, just the piece I'm gonna use. It kinda looks like I have drugs in my freezer though, with a bunch of little bags in a big bag.

also if you can find whole fish, its cheaper to fillet them yourself. Last time I got three big, whole tilipia(still had heads and all) for way cheaper than the pre cut ones.

·
LionHart
13,101 Posts
I've used this method for years:

Get sandwich ziploc baggies a put one feeding's worth into each baggie, and freeze them all, leaving one in the refrigerator.

Each time you take the thawed one out of the refrigerator, replace it with a frozen one and it'll be thawed by the next feeding.

This rotation keeps all but one feeding frozen, so spoilage is zero.

·
Registered
111 Posts
i found i didn't need to thaw the Pollock i feed my reds. It floats for about 3 min then slowly sinks. its great watching them circle below it waiting for it to drop. they ravage the thawed edges.

·
"Pygocentrus cariba"
11,882 Posts
...we got something called pollac which is another white fish felet and looks a lot similar...my questions are is this ok to feed them first of all ...
Well, Pollack (Pollachius pollachius) and Saithe or Pollock (Pollachius virens) are Cod related maritime fishes and yes they belong to white fish group.
They are OK to feed to Piranhas actually. But there is one problem with them. The same applies to Alaska Pollock (Theragra chalcogramma) too. The meat is a bit loose and soft, so it may cause some mess in the water after feeding frenzy.

Harry
[/quote]
I've heard this before too, but in all honesty I have NEVER had any problems with that. The only whitefish fillets that I have fed my piranhas is pollock fillets, and it has always kept good form in the water. Maybe other people have had different results, but it's always worked great for me.

I can get 10+ pounds of it from our local grocery store from 9 to 11 dollars a box. Now that is cheap and it lasts forever!
~Taylor~

1 - 10 of 10 Posts