Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
last night when i got home, i installed my power head and a couple fake plants....i have the plants spread around, but i took out a rock formation that allows the p's to go under and chill as a group....since ive taken that out i know there arnt really any cover spots...now they all shoal together, and seem a bit sketched....could it be due to the powerful power head?? or should i toss back in that rock formation??

·
LeT gO mY EgGs GRoLL
8,959 Posts
cuase you have toke the rock out! and add some plants in there...that mean you rearrange your set up...now you have to give them time to get use to your set up again...eigther that put the rock back in the same place.

·
Allergic to stupid sh*t!!!
4,364 Posts
I thought you got an AC20 powerhead. That's not powerful. Did you get a differant one?

As for the P's acting wierd, it will take a couple of weeks or so for them to get used to the new surroundings. If you don't like the way they are acting, put the rock formation back in. Or leave it out. Your tank, your choice.

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i just put that rock back....theres tons of fighting right now (not that im really worried about it) 2 caribes are scrappin hard...they're like face to face with eachother, like side by side (gil to gil) with they're tails facing outwards...they're spinning circles in the same spot like your spin cycle on the washing machine...i could bet this is to do with arranging the set-up...ive only seen this happen once before with these guys, last time it happened i was infront of the glass and watching them fight big time, i saw one bite ahold of the others tail, and the one tried swimming away, with some quick thinking i hammered on the glass to break it up...the tail wasnt dammaged but theres some domincance issue's in there..the 4 caribe are about 5 1/2 - 6"...2 reds ones just over 6, ones just under 6...its a great shoal tho

I thought you got an AC20 powerhead. That's not powerful. Did you get a differant one?

As for the P's acting wierd, it will take a couple of weeks or so for them to get used to the new surroundings. If you don't like the way they are acting, put the rock formation back in. Or leave it out. Your tank, your choice.
i grabbed an ac20 then once you guys said it was too small, i went right back to the petstore and grabbed an ac70 as recommended by you fella's...i even grabbed the bottom filter attachment for the ac aswell..think they'll even use it, or is it a waste of money?

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
a powerhead is a great investment. its not like a hamster wheel lol there will be a current produced which will encourage them to move about more thus increasing their metabolism and thus growth. so long as you have dead spots in the tank they will fine. they are scrappin over territory which is weird since you took rocks out?

good luck man id keep an eye on it. should be fine.

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
a powerhead is a great investment. its not like a hamster wheel lol there will be a current produced which will encourage them to move about more thus increasing their metabolism and thus growth. so long as you have dead spots in the tank they will fine. they are scrappin over territory which is weird since you took rocks out?

good luck man id keep an eye on it. should be fine.
they should be fine...they wont have food til like wed/thurs tho LOL...so maybe ill keep a closer eye on them...if they fight they fight, what can i do really...its part of they're nature so ill let it take its course...ill keep an eye on them tho

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
not sure if i could really feed them anything good til then, i know in the wild p's could go a week - 2 weeks w.o food...but then again, this isnt the wild...ill dig around to see if i have any shrimp or something that i could toss in there

·
Allergic to stupid sh*t!!!
4,364 Posts
yeah, red can go a while w/o eating, but that is the rule for full grown fish. You have juvie/sub-adults, which can still be fairly aggressive towards eachother, not to mention they should be fed everyday at that stage.

·
"Pygocentrus cariba"
11,881 Posts
Just make sure you have some sort of 'break' for them so that they can rest, otherwise they could become severely stressed if they have to be constantly swimming in their tank all the time.
~Taylor~

*Topic Moved to Tank and Equipment Forum*

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just make sure you have some sort of 'break' for them so that they can rest, otherwise they could become severely stressed if they have to be constantly swimming in their tank all the time.
~Taylor~

*Topic Moved to Tank and Equipment Forum*
i made that cave again for them, so they all chill under there...its a good resting spot for them IMO

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.