Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
2,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i got a 50lb bag of sand and i might wana put it in my rhom tank. the thing is tho how do i change from my gravel to sand without disturbing the bacteria colonies? will i have to cycle it again with the sand? any info helps.

· Registered
10,778 Posts
what king of filter do you have on your rhom tank? Reason I ask...some filters hold a lot more beneficial bacteria than others.. If you have canisters or wet dry filters, or even big HOB filters, i say removing the substrate should not be a problem.

· Registered
480 Posts
Filo said:
what king of filter do you have on your rhom tank? Reason I ask...some filters hold a lot more beneficial bacteria than others.. If you have canisters or wet dry filters, or even big HOB filters, i say removing the substrate should not be a problem.
[snapback]877846[/snapback]​
I agree, as long as you have a decent filter on the tank, that should have enough bacteria in it. Plus, if there's only one fish, the bio load shouldnt be all that high.

· Registered
192 Posts
Make sure you vacuum the gravel really well before removing it. If not you'll have a ton of crap floating around with possible release of nitrates etc. Wash the sand really well and then put it in a tuperware bowl. Slowly lower the bowl into the water and spill the sand out on the bottom when you're close. I did mine with 6 Caribe's in a 120. Worked well.

· Registered
126 Posts
good luck with that you should post some pics. Be careful not to get sand caught in your filters impeller it can kill it almost as fast as a dry run. make sure you have around 5 inches of clearance between the sand and filter intake.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.