Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am still learning about aq plants and i anubias seems to be the kind of low light plant that every one keeps suggesting. does anyone have any specific species of anubias that they suggest or any will work thanx

· Registered
18,153 Posts
The most common one is Anubias barteri, if I'm not mistaken. I think about 80-90% of all the Anubias sold in my area belongs to that species, and with reason: it gets quite large (10-14" high, depending on the variety), it's hardy, does well with very little light, and can also thrive in tanks with just a small amount of gravel (it doesn't have large root systems, like many other plants, and can be attached to a piece of wood or rock with some fishing line or nylon thread).
Above applies to most other species as well, but they are usually more rare and expensive.

Apart from two or three pieces, all my Anubias plants are A. barteri.

Pictures

· The Lord Himself is Life to me
3,861 Posts
Yeah, barteri are one of my favorite since they are so leafy and provide good cover. Barteri is actually somewhat of a general terms as there are 4 recognized variants of barteri. But each is very nice.

I also like A. nana. A good low lying plant that adds a nice touch.

The A. congensis is a pretty cool plant to have as well. But I rarely see them. I was only lucky enough to stumble upon one once. A great center piece plant though.

But there are oodles and oodles of anubias out there.

edit: and may I also interject that a nice java fern should not be overlooked.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.