Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,487 Posts
Unless you dont die before it reaches a couple of yrs for it to grow, or if you were to house it in a 10 gal tank forever with no water changes and food... Yeah, I believe it wont grow bigger than even an inch.

As alot of Rhoms owners and hobbyist would tell you, their growth rate slows after reaching a certain inch. But with every fish.. the bigger the environment, good water water conditions and patience, they can and will meet propper growth. OH yeah.. Love too..

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
My rhom seems like it stop growing. Its a little over 12" and its in a 75g. Even my boys say that it hasn't grown. I'm fine where my rhoms at, I'm just waiting to have enough money so I can get a 15" rhom.

·
Registered
14,961 Posts
I have heard from so many people that if you get a rhom that is under 12 inches it will never exceed 12 inches. Is this true? and why? explain?
Plenty of it has to do with types of minerals and vitamins the fish is not getting (Petry, 2003).

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So it might help if it's food was vitamin/mineral enriched? I am getting one soon and plan on putting him in a 75 gallon he's a little over 10". Is a 75 big enough to grow them out?

I have heard this statement from a few veteran rhom keepers.

·
Registered
14,961 Posts
So it might help if it's food was vitamin/mineral enriched?
According to Paulo (Petry), these are natural things found in their water and difficult if not impossible to duplicate in the aquario. I have never tried to grow out S. rhombeus as much of what I have read and seen from first hand (including that old S. rhombeus from Steinhardt in 1972), these fish are diffinitely lacking something. The size of the tank has little to do it with as those in huge public aquariums the fish still seems to freeze in growth. That alone points to something missing in their diet.

Little field studies have been done on S. rhombeus, except tracking their hunting territory. For sure, nothing difinitive has been done on why it does not grow out in the aquario. This would probably also hold true to most of the others that are monster pirana in size.

·
The ASSMAN
20,469 Posts
My rhom is a little over 10" and if the history of him is correct, the first owner had him 9 years and the second had him for a year before I got him. I dont know how big he was when the first owner got him but I assume he was small. So my conclusion is that he has been in captivity for over 10 years and is a little over 10".

·
Registered
211 Posts
So if i get a 1.5"-2" rhom (assuming good food, good water condition, adequite space) how long will it be before it reaches 4"-5"? I dont want to wait 2 years to do a mouse video, lol.

·
im offended and this is tastless,take it down &#33
4,277 Posts
Xenon said:
jersep said:
Has anyone here ever raised a rhom from like 5 inches to over 10?
I am pretty sure that would take like ten years. I would be interested to see if anyone has done this as well
when i got mine he was about the size of a nickel and now hes 7" and it'll be 5 yrs this may if that helps and im keeping him till me or him dies!!!!

110 gallon 2rbp 2", 1 rhom 1"
55 gallon 7" rhom

·
im offended and this is tastless,take it down &#33
4,277 Posts
hastatus said:
Nice thought, though. However, hope you bequeath your fish to somebody because this fish if it is indeed well cared for might out live you.
actually a nice thought that would be sweet!!!!!!!
then u could feed me to him so we'll alwyas be together(ok i admit thats just bad!!!!) lol

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.