Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, this site is great..i am a complete newbie when it comes to aquariums but im learning alot just browsing this site!......I just began cycling a new 55 gallon tank, i figured it would be ready to go in about 3 weeks or so. Well me and my fiance just found a great apartment deal we cannot pass on. We will be moving in about 3-4 week. How can i transport the tank without having to go through the process of cycling again, i obviously cant leave any water in it?

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
First of all, welcome aboard

Once your tank is cycled, moving it to another appartment won't completely undo the cycle: most of the bacteria that colonized the filter will probably die, since they need running water, but there will be enough left on you hardware and gravel to stabilize quickly things again... Using new water won't be much of a problem either: to my knowledge, the nitrifying bacteria are not freefloating. But I'd try to bring as much old tank water to your new home nonetheless: this way, you will decrease the chance of serious fluctuations in water perimeters (which can cause a lot of stress and even sickness...) Just take as much old water with you (in buckets, transport containers [in which you carry the fish], etc.)
I don't think it will cause many problems: I moved to another house as well last january, and I had no ill-effects whatsoever (and I even used just a part of the old gravel, combined with about 60% new gravel).

Good luck

One last piece of advise: read through the topics in the Equipment Forum: there will be a lot of useful information for you!

*Moved to Equipment Discussion*

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
NJJustin said:
sounds like it shouldnt be too difficult.
It should be... But maybe it would be a good idea to have a bottle of biospira, and/or stress coat around, in case something should go wrong (you just never know, right?), or it all takes longer than planned.

Other than that, just unplug and remove all hardware first, then remove all decorations, then catch the fish and put them in their travel container, then drain the tank and remove the gravel, race everything to your new house, and do the same, but in opposite order (except that you should install the hardware after you refilled the tank with gravel and water).

Good luck, and keep us updated, k?

·
Registered
502 Posts
Are there any fish in the tank cycling now? I transferred from a 55g to a 75g last march and did the exact same thing as Judazzz suggested. I didn't have any problems. Best of luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts