Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, since I have your attention now, I want to ask a question:

Since last week I noticed my reds swimming in the middle or higher water levels, sometimes really close to the surface, almost like hatchet fish.....
They are not gasping for air or anything, nor making a sick impression, nor eating bad (in fact, they seem to be as healthy as they can be), but are just cruising or hovering at their leisure....

The weird thing is that they used to hang out near the bottom - they rarely swam more than 10" above the gravel, and now, since a week or so, they hardly come closer to the gravel than about 10", except after feeding sessions, when they are scavenging for leftovers, and except my largest one, who has claimed a little patch of gravel as his own, and has started clearing it.

Has anyone noticed this behaviour with his/her piranha's as well, and does anyone know what this could mean?
Fyi: I'm not worried about the well-being of my fish; I'm just curious!

Tanks in advance :smile:

·
The ASSMAN
20,469 Posts
Mine always hang at different levels of the tank, I have frequently questioned the notion that they always stay at the bottom.
Cant help ya though, every time I asked the question I always got responses by people questioning the health of my fish or that they were stressed. I think people are conditioned to believe p's should stay at the bottom and cant accept that some like to hang around the middle or top.

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Maybe piranha's tend to hang out near the bottom to feel more secure.
And perhaps they swim more freely through their tank when they feel really at ease...

Anyways, I'll just ponder a bit more about it. Thanks for the replies guys (you too, Nate
), and keep 'em coming.

·
Captain Britannia
4,817 Posts
all the reds i have owned have always chilled at the bottom of the tank but my largest reds (just sold) would move between 3 - 10 inches from the gravel but always in the same spot .when they start to move around they go anywhere they want to wether it be the top bottom or middle of the tank and never been sick either so it aint down to that
dixon

·
Registered
40 Posts
The only time my red is at the bottom is when I have the hood light on or he is looking for food. Otherwise he hangs out up top. He has done this since I had him (he was about 1.5" when I got him, now he is at 3.5"). However, I have noticed that with the hood light off, he is handing out in the darkest part of the tank. And he remains quite healthy.

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,487 Posts
Dont really have an answer for this one, Judazz. All I can say is that mine are usually spread throughout the tank. Its just recently that my RBs started swimming to the top of the tank trying to catch bubbles on the surface of the water. Never seen that before either...

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
RhomZilla said:
Its just recently that my RBs started swimming to the top of the tank trying to catch bubbles on the surface of the water. Never seen that before either...
I heard they usually do that after they have been eating, to counter the added weight by gulping air, to avoid sinking to the bottom.
Mine do that too, but what I meant is that, since about a week, and unlike they used to do before, my reds nowadays hang out in the upper half of the water (at least 10" above the gravel) most of the time, not just occasionally.

·
Registered
30 Posts
my three rbp hang near the top and always have. Not sure why but they seem happy and healthy. Not common to see mine near the bottom.

·
Registered
65 Posts
My RBP's used do go to the top of the tank and stayed there with the mouth near the surface in the beginning, but i have not seen this lately.

At night, when all lights are switched off if you sneak out, i have seen all my RBP hanging in the surface...

Nothing to worry about as long as they eat and look healthy(colour, shape)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts