Piranhas Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How long does it take for them to redevelop their exoskeleton after they drop the old one? Both of mine just dropped their shells. I was there for one and isolated him, the other is either hiding very well, or became a tasty P snack
Judging by how the one could barely move (and stuck on side) without his shell, I'd guess P snack.

Why the hell dont they molt in the cave I made for them :veryangry:

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
yeah, their new exosceleton is developed.......just soft.
I don't know how long, so I would go with SMTT.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I have never had one live through it. They always get eaten, which sucks because they are such good cleaners. Also, I don't think they are smart enough to know the fish are going to eat them. They are invertabrates you know.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I think you need to give them a platform to dry out so that the new shell can harden. That's how it works for reg. crayfish. Otherwise the shell stays soft and eatable :
:

·
The ASSMAN
20,469 Posts
fishman2 said:
I think you need to give them a platform to dry out so that the new shell can harden. That's how it works for reg. crayfish. Otherwise the shell stays soft and eatable :
:
I had not thought about that. Anyone know if that is true? I do have a piece of driftwood that my red lobster hangs out in/on that he climbs too the top and is sticking out of the water.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Well, jeeeeeezzzz we have crayfish in Oregon and they don't come out of the water just to check out the chicks :eek:oo: maybe they do? :eek:oh2:

·
Registered
467 Posts
My Aussie Blue Lobster molts under water and his shell is hard within 2 days. Hope that clarifies this up.

SMTT

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yeah, my little guy got pretty hard in about 24 hours, er.......you know what I mean
Completely done in 48h, and kept under water the whole time in isolation.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.