Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How long do you think I would be able to keep 3 5-6 inch P. caribas in a 55 gallon tank (48x13x21)? I have heard various answers from "they will be good in that tank for life" to "two years tops" to "8 to twelve months." Any response would be appreicated. I am getting thee of these guys next Thursday (possibly friday) and they range from 5 to 6 inches in length.

·
Registered
4,114 Posts
Well there are two routes you can go... they may be ok in that tank, it is small, but if its all you can afford and all you can fit into your home, you could make it work. You would need to keep on on pretty regular feedings and do regular water changes weekly. Personally, I do not think that a 55g is really the best option here for you. They will be pretty cramped from the get go and as they start to grow it will just get worse.

In my opinion, a 75g tank would work prefect for those three for quite a ways down the road. Will give them some extra room, will allow you to provide them with more hiding spots, etc.

Really up to you, I would just prefer a little larger tank for them if it were me.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
i have 3 reds a little bigger than your cariba in a 55. im gonna leave it another year before i upgrade. which will be to a 75g. they are fine in there but i have minimal decor to keep a max swimming space. so mine have been in there for 7 months and have grown from 2.5" to now 1 being at 7" and the other 2 close behind. i think in a year when they should be at 8"+ they will need the extra width of a 75g.
you should be fine till about 7-8" when they will have trouble turning around.however keep in mind cariba are more territorial than reds so you may not be able to make it work like i have done. hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Its tough to give a timeframe in this situation. It might work for a little bit, it might be a total disaster right away. In general, I've found caribe to be very territorial (especially in smaller groups & in mixed shoals). They'll probably be skittish for short time until they settle down & claim dominance/territories. Imo, at that size caribe & tank, I'd keep decor to a minimum. I also suggest partials at least 2x/wk. Hate to sound so negative, but these fish can be very nasty. Get that bigger tank as soon as you can.

Good luck & hope all goes well. Pics too!

·
Registered
427 Posts
You shouldnt even risk the chance of any of those fish getting attacked by the other ones. 75g is the minimum needed for these type of fish they are far more aggresive then reds. It will be your loss when they kill eachother for territory.

·
Caribe > Any Other Piranha
6,351 Posts
i had 4 baby caribe in my 5 when they were like 2-3" , once they reached about 4" all hell broke loose, the one i have right now wouldnt let the others alone for anything, so i ended up selling the other three and kept this guy.

u should really just get a 75 Gallon.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I had 3 6" in a 55 for about a year and most of the advice you are getting is right, in that confined space you will have to keep them very well fed. Also the tank gets messy very quick so it is a little more work. Great fish to own and I hope you are able to work something out.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had 3 6" in a 55 for about a year and most of the advice you are getting is right, in that confined space you will have to keep them very well fed. Also the tank gets messy very quick so it is a little more work. Great fish to own and I hope you are able to work something out.
yeah, but I only want to house them here temporarily, I am getting a 48x18inch tank with the next 4-6 weeks, I was jsut wondering if you guys thought it would be a safe until then.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
im getting 1 piraya and like 3 caribe 4 a 75 gallon

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
i would never put caribe in a 55....3 would be good in a 75, could even toss in a 4th....they will never reach max growth in there so...should be alright

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was told that they would be better off housed in a 40 breeder temporarily because of the wider footprint, is this true?

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Keep in mind that this would be EXTEMELY temporary, they would not even be in it for more than a month.

·
Registered
5,294 Posts
They should be fine for a month, but they are very touchy fish and no one can say anything for sure. If it were me, I would wait until a 75 was set up just to be safe. However, ive seen people who have 3 in a 55 and they havent killed each other. It is pretty much going to depend on the individual fish.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
They should be fine for a month, but they are very touchy fish and no one can say anything for sure. If it were me, I would wait until a 75 was set up just to be safe. However, ive seen people who have 3 in a 55 and they havent killed each other. It is pretty much going to depend on the individual fish.
I have decided to add them together and see how they react to each other's presence in a single 55. I am going to add dividers if I even see the slightest sign of aggression in them. It might be a while before the 75 is here and cycled, and the fish are gonna be here this week. 2 of them are only 5 inches long, the other is 6, so they aren't behemoths yet. I greatly appreciate the responses. Wish me luck!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts