Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

Since my piranhas have become sexually matured [they are sexually matured after 1,5 years right?] it seems they are less hungry. I did not raise the temperature [which one should/could do if he wants the piranhas to breed] so could it be that they are kind of waiting until the temperature gets raised? Also, when they are fed now, and i already feed them far less often than I used to, they all seem to get scared for hours first, and will pack together, and then after a few hours, they will eat the fish, I have 5 piranhas, and they are even not hungry after not having eaten for 3 weeks, which is kind of odd?

This all seemed to have changed since they have sexually matured

Has anyone ever experienced anything like this?

Frank

·
Allergic to stupid sh*t!!!
4,364 Posts
they are sexually matured after 1,5 years right?]
Not always. 8 months is the youngest I've seen. Size is what really matters. What size tank are your fish in, and what have you been feeding?

·
Bean Power!
8,911 Posts
As they grow from fry, to juvenile, to adult, they require less food. Their food intake sounds normal to me. The fact that they are not eating right away when fed, sounds like they are a little spooked, wich is also normal. It doesn't take much to spook a shoal of piranhas.
I wouldn't keep pushing the 3 week feeding thing, or you'll wind up with floating heads! Offer food once or twice a week, and what isn't eaten after an hour...remove.

And yes, a 1.5 year old pygo should be sexually mature.

Topic moved to feeding and nutrition

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As they grow from fry, to juvenile, to adult, they require less food. Their food intake sounds normal to me. The fact that they are not eating right away when fed, sounds like they are a little spooked, wich is also normal. It doesn't take much to spook a shoal of piranhas.
I wouldn't keep pushing the 3 week feeding thing, or you'll wind up with floating heads! Offer food once or twice a week, and what isn't eaten after an hour...remove.

And yes, a 1.5 year old pygo should be sexually mature.

Topic moved to feeding and nutrition
Ok thanks

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
if ur temp is higher your fish will be more active thus burning more energy thus eating more.. also if u want them to breed the temp needs to flucuate as in their natural habitat.. even though they are bred they still have natural instincts.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.