Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anybody have a clue as to what temp i should set my tank at prior to introducing my baby rbp's to their new home? i usually have it around 78 normally, but not sure if it's different for baby's..?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks! pics will come as soon as they arrive on wednesday, courtesy of nate. can't wait! i've been into his hobby since way back in the day when predatoryfish was still up.

i know brine shrimp is good for babies, but i remember back in the day when i had my setup i fed them blood worms. anyone have a preference as to what they like to feed baby p's?

keep it at 78 any higher may cause aggression, and babies are very canabalistic.
i see, thanks for the advice, i may even lower it to 76? i do not want any cannibalism going on!....

·
"Pygocentrus cariba"
11,882 Posts
I have always had mine set at 82 degrees with reds and never had many problems at all with aggression, but I also kept them fed very well too.
~Taylor~

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have always had mine set at 82 degrees with reds and never had many problems at all with aggression, but I also kept them fed very well too.
~Taylor~
i see, thanks for the tip. how often do you feed your fish? would you suggest brine shrimp or blood worms? i think since im going to be getting tiny p's i will be feeding them 2 times a day until they hit 2-3 inches, then change it to once a day.. eventually hitting once every other day. any suggestions?

·
Registered
4,114 Posts
~Taylor~
i see, thanks for the tip. how often do you feed your fish? would you suggest brine shrimp or blood worms? i think since im going to be getting tiny p's i will be feeding them 2 times a day until they hit 2-3 inches, then change it to once a day.. eventually hitting once every other day. any suggestions?
[/quote]

I used to keep mine around 80-82 as well and never had issues with them beyond the ordinary (fin nipping, etc, which will happen at any temp with piranhas from my experience).

As for feeding, I started mine off with bloodworms, brine shrimp, krill and the occassional beefheart. Also, when they were small, they were still willing to eat cichlid pellets and regular fish food. From the time I got them at about dime size until about the 2" mark I was feeding them anywhere from 2-4 times a day... just depended on how much I was around each day or my roomate was. After 2" I was feeding them 1-2 times a day until they were around 4" and then I cut back to every other day or every couple days.

Once they get past the 2" mark or so, I started them on all the "normal" foods for rbps... raw shrimp, tilapia, smelt, silversides, whole krill, catfish, etc.

Good luck and enjoy them!

·
Registered
400 Posts
I have always kept my Pygocentrus Caribe, Piraya and Nattereri 'Red Bellied Piranhas' tanks at 78-82. F. I have only had one problem in the past (the only little runt was killed by dominant piranha). Try out different temperatures around this temperature region and see whats heppens and what suit's them best.

Good luck.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I just got some off of nate and they are doing great. You say you are getting the babies from him, do you mean the dimesize or 2-3"? If its the dimesize what i do is crush flakes in a ziplock bag and add some freeze dried brineshrimp and mix it all up. Feed them 3-4 times a day and do water changes everyother day if you want them to grow fast. Right now they would be too small to eat blood worms but in a month or 2 they really like the frozen blood worms. Good luck with them and let us know how everything goes!

-Alex

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have always kept my Pygocentrus Caribe, Piraya and Nattereri 'Red Bellied Piranhas' tanks at 78-82. F. I have only had one problem in the past (the only little runt was killed by dominant piranha). Try out different temperatures around this temperature region and see whats heppens and what suit's them best.

Good luck.
Thanks! i am going to give it a shot at 80 or so to start them out and gradually get to 82.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just got some off of nate and they are doing great. You say you are getting the babies from him, do you mean the dimesize or 2-3"? If its the dimesize what i do is crush flakes in a ziplock bag and add some freeze dried brineshrimp and mix it all up. Feed them 3-4 times a day and do water changes everyother day if you want them to grow fast. Right now they would be too small to eat blood worms but in a month or 2 they really like the frozen blood worms. Good luck with them and let us know how everything goes!

-Alex
i am going to receive tiny piranhas from nate. nate called them 'tiny', not sure how big tiny is, but i guess i will soon find out. thanks for the advice i will do a mix of some of the above food combinations, soo many to choose from. water change every other day? seems a little OD? i might give that a try as well, but since they are still young ill let them get acclimated to their new home first. thanks for the advice!
i will update ..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts