Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question!

Before I siphon my tanks gravel I check Ammonia level and it is 0 or very minimal. Once I am done cleaning and doing a 25% water change I check my water right away and the Ammonia is up at .50 ppm.

Is this just because everything is stirred up and will it go back to normal after the water is filtered good?

Also i have a nitrite test kit but not a nitrate and I was wondering if my nitrites are at 0 will my nitrates in turn be at zero also? Or are they thier own individual thing and should I get the nitrate test also?

Thanks ALL!!

·
"Nitro"
4,142 Posts
Fishman said:
I have a question!

Before I siphon my tanks gravel I check Ammonia level and it is 0 or very minimal. Once I am done cleaning and doing a 25% water change I check my water right away and the Ammonia is up at .50 ppm.

Is this just because everything is stirred up and will it go back to normal after the water is filtered good?

Also i have a nitrite test kit but not a nitrate and I was wondering if my nitrites are at 0 will my nitrates in turn be at zero also? Or are they thier own individual thing and should I get the nitrate test also?

Thanks ALL!!
it is posible your tap water has ammonia in it.

nitrites and nitrates are totaly different.your always going to have a little bit of nitrates, thats normal since everything gets broken down eventually into nitrates.
you should test your nitrats and see how high it is, this will tell you how much of a water change you need to do.if its high, change more water, if its low you don't have to change the water as often.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info guys but I live out in the country and use the sping water from the mountains and dont see how this could have ammonia in it already! The PH and hardness are perfect but I will test it again for ammonia!!

thanks guys!!!

·
"Nitro"
4,142 Posts
wow great info . heres what my county has

Coliform. Coliforms are bacteria that are naturally present in the environment and are used as an indicator that other, potentially-harmful, bacteria may be present. Coliforms were found in more samples than allowed and this was a warning of potential problems.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ha Ha

I'm sorry that you guys dont understand I live out in the country were my water comes straight from the ground either from a well or a spring!!

My water does not get treated or nothing added at all that is the best part about living in the boonies!!!!

LOL

Thanks for the info anyways!!
Very informative!!
Thanks All!1

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.