Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am geting a new 120 gallaon aqauraim soon. I was planning on putting it on a workbench like thing I have that I used to have a 55 G on, but the weight of a 120 is making me nervous. The way I figure is that a 120 will weigh a little less then 1200 pounds when compleatlly full. This desk is thing was designed for the garage and is rather sturdy its made of reinfoced two by fours for the top. Four "two by four" legs reinfoced with a crossbeam for front and back. Anyway do you think this will be able to hold that kind of weight. and just so i feel better does anyone know any ways to make it stronger.

·
Registered
873 Posts
instead of making it stronger, it may be better to start over from scratch. what are the dimensions on the tank (i'm guessing 72" long, and 18" wide, right?) and what are the dimensions on your desk?

if your putting the tank and stand in your home (as opposed to the garage) it would be better if you either attached the all the legs together with some 2x4's or 2x6's running along the floor, or put a piece of plywood to down disipate the weight evenly under all the legs.

some pics of this desk would also help :smile:

~Will.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
i think that stand made of 2x4s would hold a 120g tank perfectly fine.

although the only thing that would worry be is how sturdy the legs are. i mean, if you were to push against it would the stand wobble or is really sturdy?

you might want to put 2x4's along the four sides at the bottom so that the legs dont wobble. know what i mean?

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
JesseD said:
i think that stand made of 2x4s would hold a 120g tank perfectly fine.

although the only thing that would worry be is how sturdy the legs are. i mean, if you were to push against it would the stand wobble or is really sturdy?

you might want to put 2x4's along the four sides at the bottom so that the legs dont wobble. know what i mean?
Perfect

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.