Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
The ASSMAN
20,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I moved my Pygo tank into my "man room" so now all my tanks are in the same room. My rhom is acting different now that he can see the Pygo tank. The tanks are against the seperate walls and they are about 4 feet apart. My Rhom seems to spend all day watching the pygos. he is more jumpy than he has ever been and his attacks to feeders are much more violent. The other night I am watching a movie, all the lights off and my rhom (he is about 10-11") smacked the canopy on his tank 5 or 6 times. this canopy is about 6 inches above water level. I dont know if he was eating, he sometimes does that when he chases a feeder, but it was so loud my g/f jumped a few times.

My question: Is this caused by him seeing my pygos and should I obstruct his view or do you think he will get used to it and settle the f*ck down. Sometimes, for no reason, he gets so pissed he just startes trashing everything in his tank. This also has not been his normal pattern.

Ideas?

·
Registered
698 Posts
He see's the pygos as food (the fins). I have my 55g divided between a rhomb and altuvei. They spend day and night always trying to get at each other. Sometimes the rhomb slams the clear divider trying to get at the other fish. The divider goes all the way up to the tank cover. Otherwise, either fish would find themselves on the otherside. They have tried this!

·
The ASSMAN
20,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I dont think it is a food thing, I was thinking more of a survival/threat type of thing.
any other ideas?

·
Registered
698 Posts
"I dont think it is a food thing"

Maybe I didn't explain clear enough. What do rhombs do in the wild? they eat fins of other fish and piranhas. They see your pygos as a food source. They aren't doing it as a survival/threat thing, because that would contradict what the fish is actually naturally setup to do.

Anyway, I leave you with that thought. Maybe somebody else will agree with you or has a better idea.

·
The ASSMAN
20,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
fishman2 said:
Maybe I didn't explain clear enough. What do rhombs do in the wild? they eat fins of other fish and piranhas. They see your pygos as a food source. They aren't doing it as a survival/threat thing, because that would contradict what the fish is actually naturally setup to do.
I do understand that they are fin eaters in the wild and he could possibly think they are his food source but dont you also think he could see them as a threat? I know he thinks the entire room is his, he does the same thing when my dog is in the room. he will follow his every movement and I dont think he sees my dog as food, he is a 140 pound bullmastif. I could be wrong though.
So, any ideas to wether I should block his view or not?
thanks

·
Registered
698 Posts
Threat? Rhomb being threatened? don't think so. My impression is that your other piranhas would be more theatened by the rhomb because they are prey to rhomb.

As for blocking view? Why? unless the fish is hurting itself, I would just let the fish enjoy its desire/fantasy to eat your pygos :cool: then on the otherhand, if the fish is trashing your aquarium, block its view.

·
The ASSMAN
20,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I really dont know but like I said, when my dog norman is in the room my rhom doesnt take his eyes off him. even when norman is just laying on the floor. The rhom also flipps out when norman gets up next to his tank, but he does not do that with me so he must be able to differentiate some stuff he sees.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts