Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm pretty sure this has been brought up before, but I was wondering if you have a shoal of pygos what can be the max size between the smallest and largest fish? Can I have a 3" pygo with a 6" or will the 3" just end up getting picked on and eventually devoured? Ultimately, I want to have a shoal of mixed pygos except for cariba (I have some already in my other tank, 125 gallon). Pirayas, Terns, Super Reds. What do you think?

·
Truffle shuffle!!!!!!!
18,670 Posts
tecknik21 said:
I'm pretty sure this has been brought up before, but I was wondering if you have a shoal of pygos what can be the max size between the smallest and largest fish? Can I have a 3" pygo with a 6" or will the 3" just end up getting picked on and eventually devoured? Ultimately, I want to have a shoal of mixed pygos except for cariba (I have some already in my other tank, 125 gallon). Pirayas, Terns, Super Reds. What do you think?
it should be fine as long as they places to hide place to swim and well fed

·
Death is fair to everyone.
5,310 Posts
I think they will be fine. Just keep them well fed. Look at my sig they were alot smaller than each other and no real probs

·
Captain Britannia
4,817 Posts
i think once the fish are larger then bigger differences in size dont matter that much but if you add the likes of 1'' with 3-4'' its a recipe for disaster.
in your case 3'' and 6'' would be ok i you do what was advised above.
i have added 3'' reds with 6'' reds before and had no problems
dixon

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,487 Posts
DiXoN said:
i think once the fish are larger then bigger differences in size dont matter that much but if you add the likes of 1'' with 3-4'' its a recipe for disaster.
I owuld also agree..
in your case 3'' and 6'' would be ok i you do what was advised above.
i have added 3'' reds with 6'' reds before and had no problems
Remember, those were reds.. reds and commonly the easiest Pygo to mix with any other. Would you still stick by this opinion if you had a 6" Cariba and a 3" RB? I say depending on what fish your trying to mix depends on the answer.

·
Registered
4,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm waiting for my super reds to come in from Ash. Maybe Al's tern and piraya would make a good mix...

·
Registered
234 Posts
I have (3) 3" RBP, just added a 2" cariba and a 1.5" RBP a week ago. At first I had to take the lil 1.5" RB out of the tank and hospitalize him for a week because he almost got eaten and had body damage. Put him back in there today so I could make room for my new Spilo
and so far so good. He's been shoaling with them and so far hasn't got hurt.

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,487 Posts
tecknik21 said:
I'm waiting for my super reds to come in from Ash. Maybe Al's tern and piraya would make a good mix...
5" Tern and 4" Pirayas shoal very nicely
(you seen). I too was planning to get Super Reds from ASH just to shoal with them in the 100 gal
No worries about the size difference on these badboys!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts