Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DARKENING: i've got them on wicked dark black gravel (i'll go white sand when i get sick of this) with a midnight blue mylar (yes the kind balloons are made from) background and some mid-depth covering plants. they do get buttloads of daylight and fake light though during the day and evening so they don't turn into blind servants of giant evil cave-dwelling creatures some day. the reds are really red and the piraya has got the dark yellow thing going on his tummy. i'm into this look for pygos right now. almost black or as dark as i can get 'em on top, and deeply colored on the bottom.

FATTENING: i have these guys asking where's the beef like every day at least once. fresh and frozen catfish, talapia, salmon, shrimp, roughie, lamb, beef, chicken are what they get on a mixed and varied but regular schedule depending on what's on sale at the grocery store or what exotic fish is being cooked for dinner that i can steal some of during preparation. anyway, i feed them usually once a day when ever they'll eat which is basically always. they're growing like mad and i love it. they're like fat monstrous zeppelins that float around my tank for my pure enjoyment.

Aggression is low as the temp is only 75-76 F, there's a powerhead going for fun and exercise, three gallons of bioballs in a wetdry and twin ac500's, shitloads of bubbles, fake plants. serious fights are very very rare and everyone is so fat anyway, nothing vital gets injured when a bite does occur.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
juicy piraya. not as big an eater as the younger red and caribe, but he gets whatever he wants when he is hungry.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i measured him total length a few months ago at exactly eight inches. haven't tackled that project since then because it involves hand to hand combat with the fish. next time i move or measure him i'll gauge width too. sorry i don't know for sure. looking at him i'd say pushing two inches easy but that's such a crappy estimation based on just looking at him behind a bowfront in a dark tank it's all skewed and not even accurate for sure.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
72 gal. bowfront. have to see where i'm going to live in law school before i go any bigger. ultimately i'm thinking 100 gal. long for my six pygos. maybe larger. space and my fiancee will decide that i think. one quarter of the tank (right side) is heavily planted with no current really for chillin and sleeping and hiding when startled. the left three quarters is all open swimming and shoaling space with pwerhead. they spend most of their time screwing around in the open part on the left.

·
Registered
5,637 Posts
nice fish

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks guys. i'm actually going over to light sand. i'm not getting to enjoy my caribe's color as much on dark gravel b/c he gets all dark like an rbp and i can't rock out to his humeral spot when he's really dark. pics of my shoal in bright mode as soon as the sand settles.

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
look great !!!!!!!!!!
very nice pycho,s you got there !

1 - 15 of 15 Posts