Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off I just want to state that I know Pygo Natts are "Fin Bitters" meaning they like to bite off the fins of their own kinds but one of my Pygo Natt was bitten too far beyond the tail fin part. I could see his "meat" and now he likes to stay byhimself in a section where the rest of my Pygo Natts aren't at. I also do know there's medicines out there to treat this wound but why are my Pygo Natts attacking each other to the point of sickness/death?

I have 2.5-3inch Twenty Four Pygo Natts that I keep all together in a 55G tank. I feed them 3 times a day, which I think is plenty enough for them to not get hungry and bite each other. Water temp is perfect, PH level is great. Doesn't make any sense? Any inputs to this?

Thanks.

·
Allergic to stupid sh*t!!!
4,364 Posts
I have 2.5-3inch Twenty Four Pygo Natts that I keep all together in a 55G tank.
Thats why. You are WAAAAAYYYYYY overstocked. The P's think "since he can't do his job and thin our shoal, we will do it for him!!!"

Get a bigger tank or prepare to lose a bunch more. You need to get rid of atlest half of them, if not more. Especialy in a 55.

·
LeT gO mY EgGs GRoLL
8,959 Posts
First off I just want to state that I know Pygo Natts are "Fin Bitters" meaning they like to bite off the fins of their own kinds but one of my Pygo Natt was bitten too far beyond the tail fin part. I could see his "meat" and now he likes to stay byhimself in a section where the rest of my Pygo Natts aren't at. I also do know there's medicines out there to treat this wound but why are my Pygo Natts attacking each other to the point of sickness/death?

I have 2.5-3inch Twenty Four Pygo Natts that I keep all together in a 55G tank. I feed them 3 times a day, which I think is plenty enough for them to not get hungry and bite each other. Water temp is perfect, PH level is great. Doesn't make any sense? Any inputs to this?

Thanks.
That is your answer..It wayyyyy to many pygo in 55g...It doesn't matter how big are they..55g-75g you should have 3 or 4 most.

you really need to up your tank to 200g+ or sell some of them...It it normal for them to fin nip in that stage if you have that much together..it doesnt matter how much or how often you feed them...

Keep you tank low, really around 76f...maybe less to bring down the aggressive..but you deffinately need bigger tank or sell some.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've blame it on work hours and lack of free time... doesn't give me time to build a freaking stand or two for my other 2 55 Gallon tank to where I can split them up! Darn it.

So in reality, how many can you keep together in say a 200G tank?

55 Gallon - 3-4 at most?

200 Gallon - 12-16 at most?

·
LeT gO mY EgGs GRoLL
8,959 Posts
it really depending on you!..it your fish and tank and money...here i would do

10g...no p
20g.....1 p, no more the 4"
30g...." 5"
55g.....1 Serra. or 3 small to medium pygo
75g.....1 large Serra. 3-4 max mix pygo.
125g...4-5 large full grown pygo..
180g....6-7 full grown pygo
200g....about 10 pygo, 12 medium about 18-20 small..

but this list is just me..everyone have different set up and put more or less then i would..just my 2cent

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
it really depending on you!..it your fish and tank and money...here i would do

10g...no p
20g.....1 p, no more the 4"
30g...." 5"
55g.....1 Serra. or 3 small to medium pygo
75g.....1 large Serra. 3-4 max mix pygo.
125g...4-5 large full grown pygo..
180g....6-7 full grown pygo
200g....about 10 pygo, 12 medium about 18-20 small..

but this list is just me..everyone have different set up and put more or less then i would..just my 2cent
Thanks for the listing, it helped alot.

I'll figure something out and hustle my ass to make those stands. I'll keep an close eye on that bitten one too. Good looking out.

·
LeT gO mY EgGs GRoLL
8,959 Posts
you dont have to follow my list..it just a sample and ideas for you..i would also suggest to take the beaten on out and put it in a hospital tank.

treat them with aquarium salt and melafix, piranha heal up pretty fast..

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
well you would be fine with all your fish at that size in the 200 gal tank you would have to start loosing fish at about 6" id say cut it down to about 16 like you said and see how it goes. goood luck man

·
Innes is da Man!
5,907 Posts
55 is way to samll for 24 pygos, they will kill off the weeker, try dividing them like 6 per tank i know you have 3 55'

·
Registered
8,568 Posts
I agree with joey'd. You need to split them up between the three tanks ASAP, or you will end up losing more.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts