Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me what the approximate growth rate is for Pygos, and do they slow down once they reach a certain size? Do all Pygos grow at about the same rate?

Thanks!

·
Registered
873 Posts
I dont think there is an approximate growth rate for certain species of pygos . . . there like people. some are fat and short, some are tall and skinny, some have late growth spurts, and some are just weird.

as a generalization, they will usually grow around an inch a month up untill 5", then after that it will slow down to 1/2" or even 1/4" per month. factors that contribute to growing big pygos include regular exercise (with a powerhead), a balanced yet varied diet, frequent water changes, and stress-free environments.

so basically IMO, pygos will grow to as good as you can care for them.

~Will.

·
Registered
179 Posts
i can only talk about my personal expirience:
My pygos grow fast for 15-18 month ,up to around 15 cm ( 5-6 inch).
After that, when they reached to "adult"state, with ca 15-18 cm, the progress slow down.
My P's (cariba, natterei) grow up to 22-25 cm (9-10 inch) in 3 years, and the growing nearly stopped after that.

My Piraya are around 1 year now and up to 15 cm , don't know what's going on with them in the next time, but the growing-rate becomes slower.

·
Captain Britannia
4,817 Posts
iLLwiLL said:
I dont think there is an approximate growth rate for certain species of pygos . . . there like people. some are fat and short, some are tall and skinny, some have late growth spurts, and some are just weird.

as a generalization, they will usually grow around an inch a month up untill 5", then after that it will slow down to 1/2" or even 1/4" per month. factors that contribute to growing big pygos include regular exercise (with a powerhead), a balanced yet varied diet, frequent water changes, and stress-free environments.

so basically IMO, pygos will grow to as good as you can care for them.

~Will.
exactally correct in my opinion and i have said so many a time.
dixon

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I know my caribe grew to around 9-10" in a little over a year. They grew very fast to about 7in then slowed a little. And my pirayas are close to 5-6in and I got them on 3-29-03 when they were only 2in.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts