Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is a 55 gallon tank alright for 8 red belly Piranha ? They are super small right now 1 or 2 ".

I am feeding them goldfish.
but sometimes they shoal with the P's which ticks me off because I want them living in fear !

anyway .....peace

·
Got Rice?!?
2,648 Posts
8 is way to many for your reds when they are full grown. 3 will be a better number once they start putting on size. Keep the 8 for now, since they are small, but you will soon see what im talking about. I would say a matter of 2-3 months and space is going to be a precious comodity in that 55. So much so they will begin fighting for it.

~Dj

·
Bean Power!
8,911 Posts
Ok for now. A little tight in the near future. I would pull at least 3 of them in a few months.

From hatchling to the size of 5,6 or 7 inches they are growing at their fastest rate in their life span. Foget the feeders. All they are getting from them is finnage. Not enough nutrition. Leaf worms, chopped lean meat, fish fillets, black worms ect. When they "grow up" you can watch them demolish feeders. So many people buy piranhas at 1 or 2 inches and want them to be killers right off the bat. They're babies, let them grow first. :smile:

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
You'll be fine for about 3 months.....Trust me, I had 14 in a 55 that reached about4-5" all together and had NO casualties(until the Tern
)keep them WELL fed and watch them closely, that won't be OK for life, but for a couple months or so.Good Luck man

·
Registered
394 Posts
Whatever you do just don't get lazy and leave them in there after they start getting big. I'd take a few out once they hit 4-5 inches. Good luck

·
OPEFE
10,249 Posts
No more than 3 big Ps in a 55g...you have to upgrade soon!

·
Got Rice?!?
2,648 Posts
Basically, what you see here is a general consensus that 3 reds will be all that the 55 can support when they get a litle bigger. Must be a nice school now though.

~Dj

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,487 Posts
Either keep the 8 for now until they do get bigger then reduce, or start investing in a bigger tank.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts