Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was close to buying another canister earlier today, but then spotted a protient skimmer. I was reading the instructions and was deciding if I should get it. After 5 min, I still didnt understand its purpose. Can someone explain what these thingys are??

·
5 TIME CHAMPS
19,142 Posts
protein skimmer will not work for freshwater it only for saltwater setups

·
18,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thePACK said:
protein skimmer will not work for freshwater it only for saltwater setups
AHHHHH.. once again, I learned something new!!!

Just gave me a thought Snow. If they did have Marine Piranhas, the colors of those buggers would be funky dope fresh!!! Eh.. what am i thinking..

·
Beautiful One
8,799 Posts
Why can't they be used for fresh water ? I didn't feel like checkin out the link so if you can tell me that would be cool.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Ummm, I actually bought one for my 55gallon tank, freshwater. It was the red sea prizm slim line hang on. It worked eventually but I had to rig it and then it quit working all together. So I slapped it on my 18 saltwater tank. What happens is the smallest particles of organic matter get attached to bubbles that are forced into a stream of water. The bubbles rise to the top of the skimmer inside a deposit cup. The bubbles pop and the small parts of organic matter fall to the bottom of the cup. When the cup gets full you take it off and empty it. As for why it doesn't work for freshwater, it has something to do with the makeup of the water. For some reason, the saltwater make a lot more bubbles than freshwater. It does work wonders for my marine aquarium though.

·
Beautiful One
8,799 Posts
Good to know thanks for the informative answer babel!

·
18,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
pcrose said:
Good to know thanks for the informative answer babel!
Babe??? Ohh, Babel. WHooops!!! I was gonna say..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts