Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Got Rice?!?
2,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was always under the impression that Protein skimmers would not function properly on a freash water tank. Something to do with the density of the fresh water being different then of salt. Well a few days ago I was reading a magazine, Pond USA I think, or Pond something (I cant remember) and they were talking about constructing a foam fractionator for a koi pond. While reading the article, I realized this was basically a protein skimmer. Designed to remove the buildup of carbon compounds (ie protens) from the FRESH WATER pond. Same idea as many of the protein skimmers I see, using bubbles as an interface in order to achieve ADsorption. Any ideas? Anyone have a skimmer setup on thier P tank? I think that if this were possible, they the fish might benifit greatly.

I will check out the magazine at work when I go in and list the page and issue #.

~Dj

·
Registered
225 Posts
I pondered this same question awhile back and got some feed back but a couple people said it only works on salt water! I think it works on fresh water but is not effectve enough to justify using it on a freshwater tank to lower your Nitrates.

I was willing to try it but the cost of a skimmer is pretty much if it is not going to work very good! I just change a little more water to keep my nitrates low!

I also think that it would greatly benefit the fish if there was only a way to figure out how to get it to work on a freshwater tank!

·
Got Rice?!?
2,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well it was the magazine "Ponds". The summer issue on page 12 where it talks about this fresh water protein skimmer. I think that I might give it a try since I work at petco and can get them for pretty cheap.

~Dj

·
Registered
985 Posts
Might as well try it if you work at a petco. I've also wondered if you can use a protein skimmer on a fresh water tank and if it'll be effective or not. Tell us how things work out

·
Registered
237 Posts
correct me if im wrong, but I bellieve the whole 'protien skimmer' idea for salt water aquariums is borrowed from sewage treatment plants to seperate waste. And as far as I know, and Im geussing, sewage treatment plants are fed by fresh water. So by that logic, there should be some way to make it work.But im really just talking out my ass. It was just a thought.

·
Hello Everybody!
2,049 Posts
A protein skimmer will work in freshwater although it might not be as efficient compared to saltwater. If you are planning to purchase one, make sure you buy a model that is powered by a venturi and not by an air pump and airstone setup. This will make finer bubbles and provide more surface area to attract organics.

·
Got Rice?!?
2,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
DonH said:
A protein skimmer will work in freshwater although it might not be as efficient compared to saltwater. If you are planning to purchase one, make sure you buy a model that is powered by a venturi and not by an air pump and airstone setup. This will make finer bubbles and provide more surface area to attract organics.
Ahh, thanks DonH. I have to look for one of them venturi ones.

~Dj

·
Got Rice?!?
2,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well i got a new Red Sea Prizm skimmer today from work. I got it on, but its kinda noisy with all the bubbles and small pump. I will give it a week and see how it preforms. If anything good comes out of it I will keep it and report back here. Otherwise that thing will be up for bids to one of our salt water friends.

~Dj

·
rhombeus
3,659 Posts
thanks a bunch for sharing this idea InSin
that you are trying

·
5 TIME CHAMPS
19,142 Posts
rong666 said:
correct me if im wrong, but I bellieve the whole 'protien skimmer' idea for salt water aquariums is borrowed from sewage treatment plants to seperate waste. And as far as I know, and Im geussing, sewage treatment plants are fed by fresh water. So by that logic, there should be some way to make it work.But im really just talking out my ass. It was just a thought.
sewer plants use ozoning which is like uv sterilizer

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.