Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the Pros and Cons when using sand for the tank?...i'm gonna set up a new tank soon...How would you compare that to gravel???

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
I think sand looks cool. I would use it in my new tank that I am setting up but sand shows everything in your tank ie sh*t and food. Correct me if I am wrong but I wouldnt think you would be able to vacume it all out w/o sucking up sand.

·
Registered
4,455 Posts
I personally like sand and have it in my 125g p tank. It goes very well with plants and wood. But just as mentioned above, when your p's sh*t or if you leave any uneaten food it stays on the surface. Sometimes when your p's swim it causes some of the debris to move around. When doing a water change, you have to siphon debris only at the surface, otherwise you might end up sucking sand out. With gravel, the cleaning is much easier and the debris is less obvious. It's really up to you. If you want your tank to look nice and don't mind a little extra effort in cleaning, then go for sand. But if not, then stick with gravel.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
sand looks aweomse if youre gonna use just rocks and driftwood or fake plants. but if you want live plants, go with gravel thats bigger than sand and smaller than pea gravel.

·
"Bruce Lee" the Legend
5,194 Posts
I have a sand and a gravel tank. I think the sand tank is easier to clean because all the waste and debris seem to gather up in one corner of the tank. All I have to do is hold the siphon on top of it and I'm done. I also think it looks a lot better than gravel. JMO. Good luck and let us know what you decide.

·
Got Rice?!?
2,648 Posts
I really dont think that sand is that much harder to clean then gravel. Like it was said before, you just have to hold the siphon at the surface of the sand or only an inch or so into it. I have had sand in my 180 for 8 months now and it all seems to still be there.

~Dj

·
Got Rice?!?
2,648 Posts
o snap its eric said:
Well i have to thoroughly clean my gravel because i have rays. Sometimes its a bitch to clean!
LoL, I bet. Do the rays make alot of crap?

·
Registered
624 Posts
I use sand in all my tanks, 150, 115 and a 45 gallon. I've just put down a deposit on a 90 gallon and yes i'll be using sand in there also. For me sand looks "right". With some nice rock or bogwood sand looks awesome. I would never go back to using gravel. Yes the sh*t stays on the top, but i find that my filtertion and decor always makes the sh*t stay in one area. I do water changes every week to ten days and i find it an advantage to see the crap. Just because you don't see it with gravel dosen't mean it's not there! Yes i do suck up a small ammount of sand with my syphone, i just rinse it in treated water and put it back in, no problem. It may be a pain, but it's only a minor one. Use sand!!!
Ta.

·
"Nitro"
5,386 Posts
they say with sand your tank's water is accualy clearer than with gravel

1 - 18 of 18 Posts