Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 54 corner freshwater community tank, the pH was very low so the LFS told me to add proper pH 6.5 so I did and the water started to cloud and has been cloudy for a bout 2 hours. I called the LFS and they told me wait 24 hours. Is this right? Should I add a poly filter to try and clear it up? Please help!

· I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
14,634 Posts
Hmm.. maybe bacterial bloom? Every new chemical you add in the tank will always have some chemical reaction, in this case, might've disturbed bacteria establishment in the tank. Do a 30% water change, clean out your filters and use crushed corrals as substrate to help PH increase slowly.

BTW: Get rid of that PH up thingy. Chemical substances to help with water perimeters in your tank should be your last choice.

G

·
RhomZilla said:
Hmm.. maybe bacterial bloom? Every new chemical you add in the tank will always have some chemical reaction, in this case, might've disturbed bacteria establishment in the tank. Do a 30% water change, clean out your filters and use crushed corrals as substrate to help PH increase slowly.

BTW: Get rid of that PH up thingy. Chemical substances to help with water perimeters in your tank should be your last choice.
[snapback]871291[/snapback]​
I agree, water conditioner is all I add to my water.

Try just a small handfull of crushed coral wrapped in pantyhose and put it into your filter. It will gently increase the PH and KH ( in order to buffer and keep the PH there ). Then when you get the PH to the amount you desire adjust the amount of coral you are using.

G

·
RhomZilla said:
use crushed corrals as substrate to help PH increase slowly.

[snapback]871291[/snapback]​
Yup.

I don't know what that cloudiness might be. Perhaps the buffering salts have precipitated out. Either way, the crushed coral sounds like the better way to go.

In the mean time, in an emergency where your pH is suddenly too low -you can bounce it up by adding a small amount of Baking Soda (sodium bicarbonate) to your water. My rule of thumb is to add about a quater-teaspoon per 10 gallons and then re-test your pH the next day. If it's still too low, you can add more.

· I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
14,634 Posts
Bullsnake said:
In the mean time, in an emergency where your pH is suddenly too low -you can bounce it up by adding a small amount of Baking Soda (sodium bicarbonate) to your water. My rule of thumb is to add about a quater-teaspoon per 10 gallons and then re-test your pH the next day. If it's still too low, you can add more.
[snapback]871585[/snapback]​
You might want to monitor the amount of baking soda, plus not to get too wild with the mixture. Baking soda will drastically boost up PH, and if too much, PH spiking might occur and kill your fish overnight.

G

·
NB2SB said:
Will bakinbg soda affect a Hystrix Stingray?
[snapback]871768[/snapback]​
I've never owned a stingray, but I've been told on this forum that they are very, very sensitive to water conditions.
How long have you had that stingray?

G

·
Okay, then it should be well acclimated to your water conditions by now.
Just make any changes in pH slowly and you'll probably be fine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.