Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Don't f*ck with the fairy.
4,547 Posts
Okay so i gotta run it into the prof's office in like an hour or so.... sooooo if anyone would care to look over it for me?

This paper was written on Marie Roget, a story by E.A. Poe about a real police case. the results came out before poe could finish the last installment.... and it was deemed not a murder. so Poe basically just cut it off which made for some very awkward reading.

The failure at the end of "Marie Roget" is a glaringly pathetic attempt at Poe's inability to cover his own error. In continuing the story in the direction he was leading it, and then having the actual case prove it a falsity, he would have fully nailed the casket in which Dupin's infallible detective skills reside. As it stands, the book becomes rather stilted by its sudden departure from the main theme into Poe's warped mathematical skills. While he plays to and fro with the idea of probability, it is obvious that the reality of the case and his misdirection of the plot weigh heavy on his mind. It is akin to watching an egocentric person crumble to bits as someone tells them that the sun is the center of the universe.

The probability that he is simply dredging up a theory stated at the beginning of the story, is much higher than that of throwing a pair of sixes on dice three times in a row. The length however, that he rambles on about calculus, dice, and throwing certain numbers is almost suspicious. It ponders the question that perhaps he had a minimum to make up, and rather than prove Dupin an idiot and a fake, he should make himself (the narrator) the object of criticism through his befuddled ramblings.

Although the ending is highly questionable, so is the fact that they claim it wasn't a murder after all. Poe's character Dupin does pick up on several very good points, that begs the question: What were the police thinking? Obvious finger marks around her neck, as well as bits of her dress tied and torn and destroyed. Perhaps it would have been an interesting turn of events if Poe had drawn his final conclusion and the police had concurred.

· my sister is #1 best prostitute
10,237 Posts
having not read the story its alittle hard to fully understand but looks well written..

i like this line:
"It is akin to watching an egocentric person crumble to bits as someone tells them that the sun is the center of the universe."

makes think of how peacock will react when he realises he doesnt infact know it all..

· Indianapolis Football
11,384 Posts
You had me at "glaringly pathetic attempt"..

· Skankzilla
16,305 Posts
"rather than prove Dupin an idiot and a fake, he should make himself (the narrator) the object of criticism through his befuddled ramblings"

Is the word idiot appropriate? It just seems uneducated when you call someone an idiot, almost like dumbass. Wish I had a therasaurus.

Other than that its good. I'm not a very good writer, but just thought that word could be changed.

· Registered
13,105 Posts
Got to it late, seems very opinionated (depending on the prof that's good or bad)

The probability that he is simply dredging up a theory stated at the beginning of the story, is much higher than that of throwing a pair of sixes on dice three times in a row
Don't like this sentence, awkward...

It ponders the question
...what ponders the question?...

Any more proofreading needs funding to my paypal account.

· Registered
1,241 Posts
b_ack51 said:
"rather than prove Dupin an idiot and a fake, he should make himself (the narrator) the object of criticism through his befuddled ramblings"

Is the word idiot appropriate? It just seems uneducated when you call someone an idiot, almost like dumbass. Wish I had a therasaurus.

Other than that its good. I'm not a very good writer, but just thought that word could be changed.
[snapback]844375[/snapback]​
simpleton is an all around bad ass word, us it!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.