Piranhas Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had 10 RBP's for almost two months now. I have kept their tank clean with weekly water changes and have kept all parameters perfect. My shoal has been feeding on cichlid pellets shrimp and some tilapia. They live in a 75 gallon tank (which i know is too small eventually) that is decorated with real and fake driftwood as well as plants and has a sand bottom.

With all that description out of the way my question is why is one of my pygos still barely over 1" and the others are 2.5-3.5"? I know he is eating because i have seen him very fat after feedings and witnessed him eat. Could he have some sort of growth disease, or is he just slow developing? I plan on selling half the shoal when they reach a good size but im afraid this lil guy is gonna take forever and may get eaten if he doesnt grow.

Anyone got any ideas on whats going on with him?

·
OPEFE
10,250 Posts
Pretty normal Bro... growth depends on many many factors: genes (the individual), water conditions (filtration + water changes, no nitrates, enough oxigen), feeding (varied diet, enough food), exercise (tank current), water temp (related to fish metabolism), tank space (related to water quality), general health (no illness, parasites, stress...)… it always happens some Ps (best genes, health, dominant Ps tend to eat more than others) grow larger and faster than others
!

·
Allergic to stupid sh*t!!!
4,364 Posts
they will all grow at differant rates. They are not all geneticly identical.

·
Is a Boss.
11,469 Posts
Pretty normal Bro... growth depends on many many factors: genes (the individual), water conditions (filtration + water changes, no nitrates, enough oxigen), feeding (varied diet, enough food), exercise (tank current), water temp (related to fish metabolism), tank space (related to water quality), general health (no illness, parasites, stress...)… it always happens some Ps (best genes, health, dominant Ps tend to eat more than others) grow larger and faster than others
!

·
Nurses Do It Better
10,001 Posts
Pretty normal Bro... growth depends on many many factors: genes (the individual), water conditions (filtration + water changes, no nitrates, enough oxigen), feeding (varied diet, enough food), exercise (tank current), water temp (related to fish metabolism), tank space (related to water quality), general health (no illness, parasites, stress...)… it always happens some Ps (best genes, health, dominant Ps tend to eat more than others) grow larger and faster than others :nod: !
[/quote]

He is good isn't he :laugh: I'm almost embarrassed to add anything after Daniel.
Hey Daniel, btw, fine post
to Saved Topics

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
I beleive Nitrates is only a problem with Serras not Pygos and like Hannibal and other posted said, some pygos will just grow faster then the others.

Maybe if you get a bigger tank, it might help the little one grow a little faster( but he will still be behind the others) and we had a member who owned a LFS conduct an experiment where he was able to show that adding a powerhead doesn't necesarly improve their growth rate. I do beleive that adding a power heath is good anyway cause it improves your Piranhas health by providing excersice.

Hater

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.