Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right everyone, my nats are probabilly at a normal size but it has been brought to my attention lately that i havent been doing water changes enough!!!

I have a few dilemas

Do i need to clean my filter (I only have an internal filter)

Also: I am still abit of an amateur at water changes, i have only done a few changes since i have had my fish as i get worried i will harm them. My tap water is not good enough for the P's and will have to be treated. Also how do i get my water up to temperature? by adding warm water and hoping for a correct balance????

how long could i keep my P's in a bucket while my tank gets changed?

The whole point to the title is i am going to take a picture every week and note the difference in the growth of my fish. My water is always crystal clear but someone was telling me about hormones the fish produce or something that affects there growth thats why i need to keep doing water changes regardless.

I am going to keep my light on for 10 hours a day (because i am at work) and do a water change every week and see if i can bring the red colour to my fishes bellys

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
What size tank do you have? You should be doing atleast one 25% change per week. Ok with that being said you don't need to put your fish in a bucket when you do water changes.Leave them in the tank.When I do water changes I just use my hand to get the temp in the ball park.Feel it if it is hot then add more cold etc.The water should just feel luke warm to the touch.If your water is high in chlorine or w/e you can add the chemicals to your tank as you fill it back up if you are using a python for your changes.If you are using buckets then you can add whatever is needed per bucket before you dump it in.The more water changes you do over time the more comfortable you wll become and the faster and easier they will go.I have done so many water changes it's second nature anymore..Takes me about 15 minutes every sunday to empty 25 to 35% of my water including gravel vac,,clean intakes and power head then refill.If you want your fish to remain healthy and growing good you really do need to keep on top of the water changes.Good Luck.

·
Innes is da Man!
5,907 Posts
dont clean your filter, infact turn it off when adding new treated water to let it settle for best results

·
Registered
523 Posts
What size tank do you have? You should be doing atleast one 25% change per week. Ok with that being said you don't need to put your fish in a bucket when you do water changes.Leave them in the tank.When I do water changes I just use my hand to get the temp in the ball park.Feel it if it is hot then add more cold etc.The water should just feel luke warm to the touch.If your water is high in chlorine or w/e you can add the chemicals to your tank as you fill it back up if you are using a python for your changes.If you are using buckets then you can add whatever is needed per bucket before you dump it in.The more water changes you do over time the more comfortable you wll become and the faster and easier they will go.I have done so many water changes it's second nature anymore..Takes me about 15 minutes every sunday to empty 25 to 35% of my water including gravel vac,,clean intakes and power head then refill.If you want your fish to remain healthy and growing good you really do need to keep on top of the water changes.Good Luck.
X 2, leave them in the tank!!!! its too much stress to take them out every time. you will get used to it

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
agree'd...if you want to clean your filter use your old tank water to do so, leave the fish in the tank, because the more you take them out, the more stressed they will become....do 20-30% water changes twice a week OR 40-50% changes once a week (is what i do)....its all about when you got time for these guys....feed them shrimp, white meat, fish fillets, talpia etc.... for the best color/growth you can get

·
Registered
717 Posts
Like everyone else said. Do at least a 25% water change weekly. And treat the water you replace. i use PRIME, but there alot of different products you can use. You might also want to get a python to do water changes, it'll make your life so much easier. Water quality is very important man. I used to do 30-35% water changes every 5 days when i had my rhom.

Vary their diet (white meat fish) Tilapia, halibut, shrimp, smelt, silversides..to name a few. Don't leave frozen food in the tank longer then 15 minutes, you dont want it polluting the water. Avoid feeders, they can carry diseases. Stick to this and your p's will grow and have nice color

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
also feed them shrimp white ones!!!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts