Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts

*above pics submitted by Innes

Scientific name: Panaque sp (L191)
Common name: Dull eyed Royal Pleco, Royal plec, Royal panaque, Royal catfish
Synonyms: Cochliodon nigrolineatus, Chaetostomus nigrolineatus, Panaque nigrolineatus
Genus: Panaque
Order: Siluriformes
Class Actinopterygii
Family: Loricariidae
Subfamily: Ancistrinae
Size: 17" (40cm) but usually smaller in captivity
Origin: Brazil, Colombia, Venezuela
Minimum Tank Size: 3'
Tank setup: This species requires some bogwood and likes to have some hiding places
Temperament: Usually peaceful, may be territorial with other plecs
Compatibility: Suitable for a community tank
Water Type: Freshwater
Temperature: 72-79°F (22-26°C)
Hardness: 2-5dH
pH: 6.5-7.5
Sexual dimorphism: The genital papilla of the female is round and blunt, that of the male by comparison is smaller and pointed.
Breeding: Difficult fish to breed, no information is available as to the conditions needed.
Feeding: Will accept a wide range of vegetables, should also be offered prepared foods, also appears to eat bogwood (I assume they like the tannin) they also like to accept some meaty foods
Other Variants: There is another royal plec (L190) the difference appears to be that L190 does not have the white bar on the caudal peduncle.

This beautiful fish is a firm favorite amongst many aquarists, its a fairly shy species that likes to hide away usually on a piece of driftwood, like most plecs they seem to require driftwood/bogwood, this is likely because of the tannin.

This fish will accept a wide range of foods, you can feed it with most vegetables, and also some meaty foods, but you should also provide it with prepared pleco foods like algae wafers or vegetarian diet frozen fish food.

there is a closely related species L190 (Panaque nigrolineatus) which does not have the white band on the caudal peduncle:

*above pics submitted by Darren Fjodor

*If you have any pics or comments on this species please add them below

heres a handy link
heres another handy link

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
wow that might be one of the best lookin plecos ive seen

·
^word
4,324 Posts
King Oscar said:
wow that might be one of the best lookin plecos ive seen
[snapback]1097236[/snapback]​
damn u havent seen many plecos then have u, there are much better ones out there, but i do gotta say L-190's are usually pretty nice.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
id im lovin this 1 i love its tail and cool body

·
^word
4,324 Posts
King Oscar said:
id im lovin this 1 i love its tail and cool body
[snapback]1097279[/snapback]​
if u really like em there not that rare, and there pretty cheap too, there like 35 at georges
ill be getting one in a few months.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
nice im gonna see if they have them at my lfs i think my bro was talkin to me about this

·
5 TIME CHAMPS
19,142 Posts
acestro said:
Nice fish!!!
[snapback]1098235[/snapback]​
welcome back innes...very nice waffler eater...and great wriet up

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i got a new royal, its 190