Scientific name: Epalzeorhynchus (Labeo) bicolor
Common names: Red Tail Shark, Red Tailed Black Shark, Fire Tail
Genus: Epalzeorhynchus (Labeo)
Order: Cypriniformes
Class: Actinopterygii
Family: Cyprinidae
Origin: Thailand

Minimum Tank Size: 20 gal for one
Tank setup and Equipment: well planted tank, rocks (they like hiding spots), and a smooth sandy bottom preferred but gravel would suffice. Will set up territories around familiar land marks to the fish and try to keep the larger décor to the sides and back to give your Red Tail plenty of swimming room.
Good filtration as always, really depending on the size of your tank and the possible tank mates, with a well planted tank you'll need the proper amount of light to gal ratio, a heater to keep temps stable, and a power head, they like a stronger current.

Temperament: semi-aggressive, can get territorial to other fish, and especially aggressive to its own kind
Compatibility: can be keep in some semi-aggressive community tanks with fish the same size or larger with roughly the same temperament, but only one Red Tail per tank, they do not tolerate their own kind. No fish small enough to eat. They can hold there own pretty well so they can work with lots of different types of cichlids even.

Swimming Column: Middle to bottom.

Water Type: Fresh, pH 7.5, dH 5-10, temperature 75*F to 80*F

Size: 4 to 6 inches

Sexual dimorphism: Females are generally larger, dorsal fins more of a right angle.
Males, less robust then a female and the dorsal fin is more stretched out and pointed.

Breeding: Not very common with these fish cause of their intolerance to each other, a pretty large tank would be needed. Would lay 30 to 50 eggs in a cave or rocky crevice and the male will guard them.

Feeding: Omnivore, from the family of algae eaters so a good vegetation staple is more what they need but may eat fish small enough to eat. Will take pellets and some meats.

Other Neat Info: close relation to the much bigger black shark (Morulius chrysophekadion).
When young the colors will look a bit more pale and drab but as they mature the colors become extremely vivid, which is a good indicator of the health of your Red Tail Shark cause when stressed or sick the black may get dull, their color can change pretty quick.
Also the Red Tailed Shark is extinct in the wild and most are breed in farms in Thailand.

References:
good info here
more info
more info
more info
more info + a good picture
more info
more info
more info

G

·
Compatibility: can be keep in some semi-aggressive community tanks with fish the same size or larger with roughly the same temperament, but only one Red Tail per tank, they do not tolerate their own kind.
Good profile. Not only do they not tolerate other red tail sharks, but they will chase any type of 'shark' such as rainbow shark, bala shark, flying fox, etc. until one of them dies.

·
DOC#003162
14,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
are those yours death, i like to try and use pictures taken by members here of their own fish

or just a picture they took themselves, if not were did you get those

·
Registered
434 Posts
i have a red tailed black shark that is about 4-5 inches.... however, he is always hiding in a spot and i never get to see him.... today i saw him, and half of his body isnt dark black anymore....

ive never seen my shark eat b4 either..... wat could cause the color change?

·
DOC#003162
14,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
charles_316 said:
i have a red tailed black shark that is about 4-5 inches.... however, he is always hiding in a spot and i never get to see him.... today i saw him, and half of his body isnt dark black anymore....

ive never seen my shark eat b4 either..... wat could cause the color change?
what are some of the other conditions of the tank

water, size, tank mates and anything else will help

from the research i did it may be some kinda stress

·
Registered
434 Posts
he died yesterday... im sad b/c it was 5 inches or so and it was my very first fish....

i had to quaratine him b/c my tank was being infested w/ snails.... i guess he got too stressed

·
Registered
88 Posts
My redtail turned brown on the way home from the fishstore (which carries salvinis by the way
)

But today, he/she is jet black. It isn't the least bit shy, and likes to swim with the school of zebra danios. I hope to have it in a fifty gal so it can grow to potential.

Thanks for the replys, i know it isn't the most interesting fish, but i like it a lot.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts